Local Desktop Backups

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
My company would like to start backing up the individual Windows desktops to a local storage server and im looking for ideas. I would like to get something does deduplication so that we dont constantly copy over identical files.
I know that my last company used Backuppc on a ubuntu server.

Comments

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    For something simple, might try Cobian backup. I have it deployed in several of my remote offices, and have the backups set for only 5 days. So on day 6, 1st backup gets deleted, and so on. Works real well for us.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I love ShadowProtect for Windows workstation backups. It does a block-level volume backup, so there's no file deduplication because it doesn't backup files. However, with controllable retention on any of the standard backup methods (full, diff, incremental), you can make it work with pretty much any usage habits. The compression is also very good. The big caveat is that there is no good way to deploy the backup jobs themselves to numerous systems; even scripting it requires some dirty hacks and a lot of work. If manually configuring backup jobs is feasible, though, it's a great program.

That being said, I really don't see putting a lot of money into desktop backup software as a good investment. The built-in Windows Backup on Windows 7 can be a great solution with a little bit of scripting -- or, really, without any scripting, depending on your goals and your environment.

What I will advise is that regardless of what system you use, you'll need to be very deliberate about scheduling. Having numerous systems performing backups at the same time will kill the network throughput or the storage system's disk throughput. It doesn't really matter how fast the system is or what software is in use; too many concurrent workstation backups will be more than it can handle. Performance does not scale up cost-wise with size needs, and the more workstations you have, the more likely it is to be a problem, even if you spend the same amount per-workstation on the storage system. That being said, with the right scheduling and/or the right software configuration, workstation backups can be completely viable in any environment.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    robocopy. ive used it before. pretty easy to setup and free. i dont know if this will work for you but maybe worth a google search if your interested.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Robocopy is very useful for copying specific directories, but I wouldn't use it for workstation backup unless you have a limited goal of copying just a specific set of directories. Even then, you're pretty limited to just copying what you have now and overwriting what you backed up. I would really advise using the built-in backup over Robocopy in most situations.

Unless, of course, we are working with XP systems here, in which case Robocopy away.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah its limited, I used to use it at a few clients for to backup outlook and mydocuments on the workstations. i believe you can add a switch to the script and it wont overwrite the backup just add to it. the built-in Windows Backup is what i use now.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP