MCITP which exam to take first

Is it wise to take the the 70-642 as the first exam for MCITP if i recently got CCNA?

Comments

• xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    It sounds like a good idea since the 642 contains alot of networking content already, so it should be fairly easy with CCNA knowledge. I just completed 640 today and i'm moving onto 642.

I don't know how much carryover there is from 640 to 642, but you "might" need the 640 knowledge about DNS etc for 642. I'll be blowing through the 642 material in the next few days so i'll tell you if I think you would be better off doing 640 first then, if more knowledgeable members haven't answered the question by then.
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From all the threads I have read here, I would say take 70-640 (Active Directory exam) first. Everything I have read says that the other exams build off the AD knowledge and it makes the rest of the exams easier to comprehend if you start there.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I decided to read a few books on Server 2003 first before I take 70-64x exams. I know it's an outdated technology, but understanding the concepts makes it easier to prepare for future exams.
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Why reinvent the wheel, follow the normal route 70-640>642 then 646 makes life a lot easier.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • luberguilarteluberguilarte Member Posts: 112
    I am in the same situation , deciding which exam to take first , but I been thinking to start from 70-642 because I already have the networking background , after that I'll switch to 70-640 , I think it will be the best way for me . Anyway you decided to take it make sure you learned it good .
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am going to take 70-642 first myself because of the overlapping networking knowledge. I do have extensive experience using Active Directory. Once I'm done with 70-642, then will take 70-640.
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have also been pondering this question. I think I am leaning towards 70-642 first since it is more related to my day-to-day duties than 70-640, but I am not 100% yet. I am a full domain admin where I work and I do work in AD regularly, but I deal more with DHCP, DNS and WSUS in my daily duties than overall setup/administration of the AD Domain. That and I may be a little intimidated by the 70-640! LOL icon_redface.gif

Either way, all three exams will be completed in the next 9 months! icon_cheers.gif
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take the 646 exam first. The 646 exam is a generalist exam which covers a whole bunch of stuff, but nothing too in depth. The knowledge you learn about DNS, AD DS, etc from this exam then helps you on 640 and 642.

My personal opinion is this. The 646 exam would make the best choice for an exam if you wanted to learn the basics of Server 2008. 640 and 642 would not.

My 2 cents.