Options

Just Another Career Change Thread

foobessionalfoobessional Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey folks, long time lurker here looking for some advice.

I graduated high school back in 2007. Since then, I had a job working retail until the company went bankrupt in 2010. Just like many other individuals in the world, I've struggled to locate any long term employment(I have had a couple temp work jobs in retail, but nothing stable). With that in mind, I want to switch gears and head into the IT sector.

Back in high school, I took two years worth of Cisco Networking classes which I thoroughly enjoyed(heck, it was the only IT class available) Since its been awhile, I am a tad rusty with the material. In regards with education, I have no college experience nor professional experience in IT.

I would love to hear from some people on what a good starting point would be.

A dream goal would be in Security/IA

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TechExams. Home of Nerds and Geeks of many trades.

When you were in NetAcad, did you take your CCNA afterwards? It was optional for my class (First class through). I tried and failed back then. :P

If you're interested in Cisco. Pickup a Book into ICND1/ICND2, or go the full Monte with CCNA Composite.

However, I strongly suggest that you would go the CompTIA route first. Get your feet wet.

1) A+
    2) Network+
    3) Security+

I really wish I studied for Security+. It's an eye opener for a lot of things. It gives you some touches onto other topics - like Microsoft, Cisco, and Security. While people argue against the IT Triad, and it's validity in real-life... Having A+ will atleast give you a certification that you could go out and find a job. Where, though, is a different matter and a different thread. :)

As far as afterwards.. well.. Pick your poison. Security Professionals make a good living. There's also Cisco. There's also Microsoft. If you're going security route - like CEH, CISSP,... You'd definitely want to read those forums.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Security will be around until pugs fly. Yes, Pugs...

pugs_fly_display.jpg

White Hats will keep fighting the Black Hats. And well... I don't see why there isn't a new movie about hacking given all the media around not-so-recent hacks.

By the way: If you do choose Cisco, you'll be an Alumni. Meaning, you'll get access to Packet Tracer. Although, I had a lot of headaches trying to tie Cisco accounts together. I still don't think I have it setup correctly. They don't believe in a Single-Sign On for their website ;)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    With no education, no experience and no certifications (that you mentioned) you are facing an extremely hard transition. Not to discourage you from trying, but you need to keep in mind that you aren't bringing anything to the table that would make someone pull your resume out of the pile at this point.

With that said, your best bet is to start concentrating on what you lack. Start going to school if at all possible and pick up an entry level certification. You need something to put on your resume that will make employers want to bite. Start making yourself into the type of employee that employers want.

Have you given any thought to the military? I know a lot of people, myself included, that got their start this way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.