Options

CCIE 's are they in demand abroad?

mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
Do CCIE's have the option to live abroad because they are in so high-demand?

How is life like for CCIEs? Do they Get to choose their projects? Get to fly in around everywhere, consult, consult, make bank, change industries?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mguy wrote: »
    I know college drop-outs who spent their twenties exploring the world and have great stories to tell. I don't see why a CCIE would be any worse off in that regard. It sounds like this is something that excites you. If so, go do it before you have family, career, responsibilities, etc.
    How is life like for CCIEs?
    Similar to life for non-CCIEs, typically with a bit more pay and up-front recognition. I start two steps behind when competing with CCIEs. I often prevail, but it's an early handicap.
    Do they Get to choose their projects?
    About as often as non-CCIEs do! Employment is a two-way street. If you're not satisfying your employer's needs well-enough, you'll have to settle for lower pay or find another employer. You may be romanticizing the CCIE. Having one isn't going to radically alter the lifestyle you've chosen to lead. Although, cultivating the self-discipline the journey requires, could alter one's lifestyle.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The CCIE is just a certification. What is in demand is people that know what they are doing. A CCIE can help show this but its not some magical meal ticket to dash around the world and get the pick of the litter jobs though it certainly won't hurt your chances.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555

How is life like for CCIEs? Do they Get to choose their projects? Get to fly in around everywhere, consult, consult, make bank, change industries?

No. Only the best of the best work like that and most of those guys work for Cisco or contract hop for giggles. There are tons of CCIEs in foreign countries, in fact many of the ones that got CCIEs here or CCIES that came here to work have gone back overseas to work. Because of outsourcing all aspects of Network control, the demand for full-time CCIEs has dropped as dedicated personnel are not required by many companies anymore and the outsourcers are doing a lot remotely, cutting down on cost and manpower.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm sure the demand for CCIE's is up in all of the developing countries. At the current billing rates in the US, you could get away with consulting for 9 months out of the year and spend the rest traveling abroad. Do remember that there way more nice places to visit than there are to live.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    where would you live then?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    If the only goal is living overseas, you don't need a CCIE. BS/BA is any field allows you to teach (babysit) in Korea. You can even do it with an associates if you're willing to take less pay. You can stay in many places up to 90 days as a tourist. So you could consult in a higher priced country then relocate to a lower cost place, perhaps do some remote work, come back, work, live somewhere else for 90 days.....
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□

If you have the chance to sign for Real Madrid as a first team player your life will change for sure.

If you obtain your CCIE, you will make more money(hopefully hah) and probably your co workers will show more respect but is not like you are going to have 180 degrees change in your lifestyle.
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guarantee that if you want to work overseas after getting your CCIE then you can work overseas after getting your CCIE. I made a reference in an earlier post that when I was out at Narbik's bootcamp we had an opportunity to talk with the man inside Cisco that works exclusively with CCIE's and let me just say that there is ample opportunity out there. He says that there are roughly 26k Cisco partners worldwide and that there are only ~23k active CCIE's. Consider that for certain parnter status Cisco requires a minimum of 2 CCIEs on staff...do the math and see how much you'll be wanted once you get your digits.

All of the above doesn't mean squat if you can't interview well...
    Preparing for CCIE Written