Options

Lammle CCNA requirement

ginamiahginamiah Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, first post but long time lurker.
I've seen the arguments for and against going straight into CCENT vs Network+ and decided to skip the Net+ and get the CCENT then CCNA.
But when first cracking open Lammle's CCNA book (page 2) he says the chapter is written with the assumption you have already passed Net+.

Will I be able to start from scratch with his CCNA book and learn the matterial to pass the ICND1 without the Net+ background?

Or is the CCENT book more geared for a beginer and should I pick that book up instead? (I know the CCNA book covers the same things, but is it written for a more advanced reader?)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    If I am not mistaken the CCNA book and the ICND1 book will be pretty much the same. Its going to be a rough ride but it is 100% possible to pass the ICND1 test even if you skip over Network+. That is what I am going to be doing also.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can start from scratch, but coming from nothing, its sometimes hard to get around how he conveys certain things, or the ordering on how he will explain certain topics. Maybe because of the assumption of having the network+.

I had zero experience or knowledge and started with his book. His first few pages frustrated me because he shows how two computers communicate without explaining and moves on.

His method of subnetting though is great, and alot easier then trying to write it all out like some people will try and get you to do. When it comes to text heavy segments of his book you will pick it up alot easier. You can definitely use the book but get the information from different angles online.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wendell Odom from Cisco Press also sells ICND1/ICND2 texts that don't assume a Network+. A Network+ is certainly not a requirement to obtain a CCENT or CCNA, the I definitely know far more Cisco certified individuals who never touched a CompTIA exam than ones who have.
  • Options
    Kai, yeah that's where I’m a little frustrated too, right off the bat he seems to lose me, but it's reassuring to hear that it gets better.
    Is there a particular order you recommend going through the book then that will make more sense? Or if you don't mind what other resources would help make the intro a smoother transition?

Thanks everyone else, I'm hoping to get by with just this book, but if need be I'll have to look into the other books as well.

Aside from Network+ is there a crash course or some other way of obtaining the basics so i can jump into CCENT?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    You could try watching a cbt nugget before you read the book.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    As Cerebro mentioned try the videos before reading the book. It makes the topics more relatable when you are reading. I actually bought the Lammle CCENT book, then decided to take the net+ first. After I passed the Net+it only took 3 weeks for me to sit and pass the CCENT. I would definitely say that it helped me, but I would also say that if you check out the cbt nuggets or trainsignal videos and then read you shouldn't have a problem.

I liked the cbt nuggets videos for the configurations... the trainsignal videos have more info that you need to pass the test, but are much drier and made me fall asleep on a few occasions.

Best of luck with whatever way you decide to proceed.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ginamiah wrote: »
    Hi, first post but long time lurker.
    I've seen the arguments for and against going straight into CCENT vs Network+ and decided to skip the Net+ and get the CCENT then CCNA.
    But when first cracking open Lammle's CCNA book (page 2) he says the chapter is written with the assumption you have already passed Net+.

Will I be able to start from scratch with his CCNA book and learn the matterial to pass the ICND1 without the Net+ background?

Or is the CCENT book more geared for a beginer and should I pick that book up instead? (I know the CCNA book covers the same things, but is it written for a more advanced reader?)

Thanks!

Yes, I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY..the authors of all CCxx books assume you have the most recent "per-requisite" and this is why they haveta makse it complicated but importantly, the entry-level is left wondering what are the basics and what are the true basics you need to comprehend the basics. This includes copy and paste from cisco white papers to explain complex theories and concepts to the first time networking student. This is why I implore everyone to go the Academy route and study CCxx concurrently!

I would skip these 1000 brick tomes and go a rudimentary method. PM me for more details.
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Continue reading Lammle's book and you will be fine with it. CCENT is an entry level exam and things are described from ground up in this book. Week or two later, if you still find it difficult to understand, you can always buy a N+ book for your reference and to read some topics in detail.
    Good Luck..
  • Options
    Illumanati: I can't seem to figure out how to PM, so could you explain the method you prefer for studying? (or how to PM? :) )

Also i looked at CBT nuggets and that looks to be very helpful, but whoa is that expensive! I'll have to pass on that for now.

And in the meantime I'll keep going through the book and hope it comes together. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Left click on the user's forum name.

Although, I can't send you one. So I'm guessing you need post numbers, or time spent? Protection against spam, no doubt.

It's not too difficult. I'd pickup CBT Nuggets to help along the way. There's going to be a fair amount of learning. I would go the 2 test route, definitely. CCNA is a lot of information for you to absorb. Not saying you can't, I would recommend getting used to the layout a bit first. A crawl before the walk.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had very little network knowledge before starting Lammle's books, and def not network+ level. I was able to pass the CCENT and CCNA.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.