Options

ICND's or single exam question

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello.

In the next two weeks I will have about 40 odd hours completely dedicated to studying. Im thinking 20 hours split between reading/theory and packet tracer. I have my network+ and been reading Lammle's CCNA book here and there for the better part of a year.

I started reading ICND2 material once I knew I could pass the ICND1 if I took it tomorrow (money being the main problem at the moment).

I will struggle with the ICND2, but maybe it would be better to do the single exam, and ace all the ICND1 questions and try my best at the ICND2 objectives? If I were to take the ICND2, I would get it with no room to spare.

Hopefully I got what I wanted to ask across. So tired writing this its unreal.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Kai, the easiest way to answer this is to consider your goals. Is your personal goal to obtain a piece of paper that says 'CCNA', or does your goal go beyond that? For many people, the goal is to have a piece of paper that says they know the CCNA topics, and to be able to present that convincingly in an interview, and to be able to utilitize that knowledge to work more effectively. If that is your goal, and you have mastered the ICND1 topics but not the ICND2 topics, I'd just take the ICND1.

(I also suspect you won't pass if you take the exam fairly and don't know the ICND2 material well, but that would be secondary to the above consideration in my thought process.)
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess the question had the wrong intentions. Im hoping with so much time in the next two weeks, I could learn and fill in the gaps in my weaknesses. I really want the CCNA and I know its the key for getting my foot in the door, and planning to get it before 2013, im probably getting desperate.

I wont take the full exam to try and bypass my weaknesses for the ICND2. I will go the ICND route and and ace them both dammit!
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the composite first because I had been working with Cisco equipment for about a year and studying during that time. I bombed it. I then took the ICND1 and passed it with ease so I went straight into the ICND2 thinking that the divide and conquer method makes it "easier". Wrong. I bombed ICND2 (though it was close; I was a couple of points off) I bombed it a second time two weeks later with the exact same score so I took a little more time to shore up on ICND2 material and passed it on try three.

Moral of the story is, one test or two, it's still a tough test. So if you think it's easier because it's split in half, then stop thinking it because it's not. The best advice I can give is continue to focus on your weak points, spot check your strong ones once in a while, and when your time is almost there (maybe a week before you have to decide which test to take) you should be able to answer the question of one or two tests for yourself. Like NetVet said, if you focus on learning the material, then the test becomes immaterial; if you know your stuff, then the test should be cake either way you take it.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    spicy ahi wrote: »
    I took the composite first because I had been working with Cisco equipment for about a year and studying during that time. I bombed it. I then took the ICND1 and passed it with ease so I went straight into the ICND2 thinking that the divide and conquer method makes it "easier". Wrong. I bombed ICND2 (though it was close; I was a couple of points off) I bombed it a second time two weeks later with the exact same score so I took a little more time to shore up on ICND2 material and passed it on try three.

Moral of the story is, one test or two, it's still a tough test. So if you think it's easier because it's split in half, then stop thinking it because it's not. The best advice I can give is continue to focus on your weak points, spot check your strong ones once in a while, and when your time is almost there (maybe a week before you have to decide which test to take) you should be able to answer the question of one or two tests for yourself. Like NetVet said, if you focus on learning the material, then the test becomes immaterial; if you know your stuff, then the test should be cake either way you take it.

I bet you will remember the day you passed better then anyone. Great story.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    I think one test route is better for Cisco Academy students or those who already have Cisco experience. It seems like most self studies do best with the 2 exam route.