Options

Do employers look for PG Diploma or PS Diploma in resume?

hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi, i have completed bachelors degree outside canada.. now im planning to study in canada.. if i will choose postgraduate or postsecondary diploma, do employers check if what diploma i have taken or not? or they just check the name of diploma, and that's it? oh, and i will be taking networking diploma, i know i will be needing certifications.

Comments

• Options
    any1 help, does "diplomas" have value in finding jobs?
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I find that patience, punctuation and correct use of grammar usually helps.
    I'm not sure about the PGDip scene in Canada, though.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    May be tough to get much opinion on the job situation in Canada here.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Are you asking about getting a job in Canada, the USA, or elsewhere? In the USA, a 4-year undergraduate (Bachelors) degree is what most tech employers are looking for. Some will accept the 3-year European equivalent; the 2-year Associates degree is becoming more acceptable too. I'm not sure how the PG and PS diplomas equate to what American or Canadian employers are looking for.
  • Options
    so when i arrive in canada, i should not write about "studies outside canada" in resume?
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you arrive to Canada, you'll find out that everyone wants so called "Canadian experience" or to put it simply, you'll get a crappy job, but after about a half a year you can get something better as you would have that "Canadian experience". Ah, and regarding the diploma - speaking from my personal experience as well as from many friends of mine, nobody cared about the diploma or degree, except for some large companies like IBM and govt. jobs.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    so, i should just study there, complete my diploma course, and get certifications, and start looking for jobs? thats it, my diploma wont have any negative effect when applying?
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    hell911 wrote: »
    so, i should just study there, complete my diploma course, and get certifications, and start looking for jobs?
    Looks like you have a fool proof plan!!
    thats it, my diploma wont have any negative effect when applying?
    I don’t think PG studies can have any negative effect while applying. Also, you can do certifications 'now' if you are prepared; it’s not going to be any easy/ different in Canada.

Read ‘MickQ’ words of wisdom. That will help you more than any diploma or certification!
  • Options
    Vik210 wrote: »
    Looks like you have a fool proof plan!!

I am sorry, Is that a good or bad plan?
    Vik210 wrote: »
    I don’t think PG studies can have any negative effect while applying. Also, you can do certifications 'now' if you are prepared; it’s not going to be any easy/ different in Canada.

Read ‘MickQ’ words of wisdom. That will help you more than any diploma or certification!

What i am after is post secondary diploma, Will that have negative effect?
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hell911 wrote: »
    What i am after is post secondary diploma, Will that have negative effect?
    What makes you think that having the diploma might have a negative effect? I guess NOT having one might. Plus nobody forces you to list that diploma on your resume as it's not a CV like in Europe.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    If you don’t mind, can I ask which country you are coming from and how much experience you have with international customers?
    I am asking because education from some countries is not much respected and international experience is your second best option after ‘Canadian Experience’.
  • Options
    im indian, but finished my bachelors in philippines, and i know my bachelors will have no effect in canada, that's why i want my diploma course to be a great one.
  • Options
    I would suggest that you go to some Canadian job search sites and get an idea about the requirements of your desired job profiles.
    In my opinion, most of the job markets are broadly divided in two categories – graduates and experienced. If you are not certified/ experienced/ skilled look for a good university and do a degree (to qualify for graduate jobs) not diploma. Otherwise, take some entry level job to gain experience, work on your certifications and grow with time.
    Remember it’s not going to be that easy. You will be competing against locals for limited number of jobs, who not only understand the market but have local experience and qualifications. If you are still in India and have time to spare, work on your language. I have seen many South Asians who are brilliant technically but can’t even talk properly in interviews.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Excellent advice from Vik that's applicable to everyone, not just hell911.