Options

Background check for education

deepblue2012deepblue2012 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
In you experience, will the background check company just verify your highest degree or they will verify all education you submitted with your Resume or application form? I had a master in US and a bachelor and a diploma in other country. I am thinking just put my master degree on my Resume. I am worry if they check all the education detail, it may cause some delay...

Any comments?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you just put your Master's, they will probably assume you have a bachelors as well. So I would think they would ask for your Bachelor degree info as well. I would give them all the info and not hold anything back because if they have to ask for it, that might leave a negative impression...
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Write everything. I had issues with IBM because I had my bachelor’s and master’s from different countries and funnily enough, this was very confusing for HR. My offer letter got delayed by 2 month as we were discussing my educational background!
    Do not give HR a chance to question you later.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Put them both. Anyone with common sense will assume that if your bachelors was good enough for the US masters then it is good enough for a job.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd put both, as that'll raise fewer doubts and suspicions. Lengthy background checks certainly don't have to hold up your offer and/or employment. The last job offer I accepted had several contingencies, all of which I knew would pan out, so they didn't worry me. Contingencies are indeed common in other types of contracts such as when you buy or sell a house.
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Lengthy background checks certainly don't have to hold up your offer and/or employment.
    This depends from company/ country you are applying for. My master’s is from UK (like any other master’s in UK) was for one year full time. Some countries still do not recognize this as a degree and they treat my bachelor’s as highest qualification.
    Some company wants to finish the background check before they send an offer letter (like Accenture) and other (like HP) hire first and do the check in first 3 months of job.
  • Options
    Thanks for all that replying to my thread. Just a follow up question: Will the background check just verify my highest degree (master degree in this case) or they will conduct verification on everything I put on eduction section of the Resume?

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    erg0nerg0n Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all that replying to my thread. Just a follow up question: Will the background check just verify my highest degree (master degree in this case) or they will conduct verification on everything I put on eduction section of the Resume?

Thanks a lot!

It all depends on the company's policy, the company I currently worked for verified my university degree and required proof of my certifications and that was it.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□

Thanks a lot!

It depends on the company. Some companies wont even ask for information regarding your degree's, but the majority of them will. Just give them all the information and you wont have a problem. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    It depends on the company. Some companies wont even ask for information regarding your degree's, but the majority of them will. Just give them all the information and you wont have a problem. icon_lol.gif

Yes. I will just release all the information and relax. It seems wild just put master degree in the Resume without mention about undergraduate education. Thanks!
  • Options
    BenjaminTraegerBenjaminTraeger Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Each of this happens differently, for example, when I got a job my university diploma was not checked at all, so the most important thing is the knowledge that you have.