Options

Query about a job title / duties and roles

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
This may sound bizarre, maybe because it is but I was wondering what you would call this position in your own personal opinion.
  • Help identify problems in a service and create service documentation calling them out at a high-level
  • Work with the business to come up with service level metrics that make sense aligning them with the need of the business
  • Creating high to mid level processes to close the loop on open ended processes and instilling procedures to lean up the processes in the service
  • Integrate/merge silo'd entities into merged service units
  • Report to high level management both on the business side and service provider side
Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The first thing comes to my mind is Service Engineer. Although, I'm still quite unsure. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    You lost me after the first bullet point. I saw a job posting recently that looked similar to that, very vague and non-specific about anything at all. Lots and lots of pretty buzz words, with no real content. This sounds a lot like that. I understand not wanting to necessarily call out what exactly it is that the position works on, but you could seriously replace the words 'service' and processes' with just about anything there.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So, the guy who decides the primary McDonalds drive-through metrics should be:
    1. Order fulfillment time.
    2. Dollar value of food wasted per hour.
    And, when they realize more chicken nuggets than necessary are being produced between 8pm and midnight, changes the "how many nuggets to cook" worksheet.

I've seen process management owned by a manager/assistant manager, but often after initially identifying "something is amiss", the specifics are delegated to team lead(s) who have a better understanding of day-to-day operations. They call the role <process-name> lead. A person who is 100% dedicated to ISO / Sigma Six may be labelled a Quality Engineer. But that is not my area. :)
  • Options
    I'm at a loss myself so thanks for chiming in.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Something like Process or Service Architect seems fitting to me but I really don't know. The position seems kind of vague.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sounds Like an IT Analyst role, although they usually come paired with heavy project management. Having said that, the description sounds too generic to be labeled as "IT".
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like you are describing someone that works in ITIL Service Design functions.

We use variations of these titles depending on level and area.

VP, Service Design
    Director, Capacity Management
    Director, Service Level Management
    Manager, Service Catalog
    Senior Process Engineer
    Process Engineer
    Senior Process Analyst
    Process Analyst
    ITSCM Analyst
  • Options
    Thanks for chiming in. I really do appreciate all the insight it's essentially what I do day in and day out. I have no title (no lie)

I'm going to my manager with one of these and see if it sticks. I'm not hung up on titles but it bothers me not having one.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If worse comes to worst, you could always go with "He Who Shall Not Be Titled". Then, just shave your head and wander around the office with a black cape draped over your shoulders.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Some kind of Analyst is what comes to mind. I would definitely not give this role an Architect or Engineer title. This seems like someone who looks at processes/procedures.. documents them.. suggests improvements... and thats about it. This person probably also likes to make pretty little charts and graphs and tries to put a value on every minute spent of every person.

We had a "Efficiency Consultant" company come in recently- think The Bobs from Office Space. This seems like one of those positions.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Route this way LMAO

That's what my job consistent of now.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow N2, you're one of the Bob's! Now I really need to watch that movie. :)

On topic, I'd go with something like Efficiency Analyst or a variation. Grand Poobah of Process Improvement may also work.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Urgh - I would avoid anything with the word "Efficiency" in a title. Sounds like a cheap motel. I would prefer @boredgamelad's title suggestion over anything with "Efficiency" in the job title. From an IT perspective, my suggestion would be to stick to the ITIL related function names.
  • Options
    I'm not a Bob, but I could see where the bullets would indicate that.

My job thus far revolves more around service and process improvement. CRM is another big piece of the role. The position is very agile in nature.

Example my first day I was interviewing candidates for service break fix technicians and then later that day I was reporting on current state of the service. Recently I just completed an activity log tracking tool out of Access. Techs where just dropping lines in a spreadsheet and calling it a day, I built out a Access Database that has a form, several tables, 2 queries, and reports to go along with those queries. They are trialing it now to see if it actually speeds up the process for maangement and the technicians/analyst. So far all the team leads love it.

3 weeks later..... I am introducing new processes and procedures via Visio diagrams along with building out Word tables below the process flow to call out the process (steps)

No title and 3 weeks in I just wanted to get some opinions to submit to my boss. My boss is extremely reasonable and agrees I need a title so I came here for advice.

Thanks for all the great input.

Kind regards,
    N2