Options

Thinking about going back to school...but for what?

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
The summary of my back story is this: I went to college (major in History and Political Science) and I went straight to graduate school to be a librarian (yes, you do need a masters to be professional librarian). As you many, the economy crapped out on us. For almost a year and a half, I have been working as a AT&T end user call center doing first level tech (changing out SIM's and IMEI's, troubleshooting no service, texting, data etc.) and billing (and crediting) support. Now, I am tired of waiting around for a library job and I want to try something else and I am thinking about going back to school next year at either my local cc or state university. It's down between IT support and or x-ray/radiology. My background in libraries (including some web design) and call centers points to IT but I am worried that the money and outlook is a lot better in x-ray/radiology with jobs aplenty and $20-25 an hour with only 2-3 semesters of work. The problem with help desk and desk support gigs (at least the one's I have seen) are either just a tad more than I make now ($9 an hour) or requires 3-5 years experience for than anything that is $15-20 an hour. Basically, I am looking in the wrong places or it's not the golden egg it used to be?

Comments

• Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not to sound like a high school counselor, but you should do what your passion is. If you do what you love to do money will follow. You should be able to make a decent career in either field, but you won't be happy unless you are doing something you love.

I'm 2 years into IT myself, I'm making okay money but still a little less than my previous non-IT job. However, I wouldn't trade it for the world because this is what I love to do and have wanted for some time. You should do what you love, whatever that may be. If you want to be a librarian then go do what you have to do to become one.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This isn't your first post here on TE. Two years ago, you had thought about moving into IT, and I assumed you were given good advice here. Why haven't you gotten into IT yet?
  • Options
    This isn't your first post here on TE. Two years ago, you had thought about moving into IT, and I assumed you were given good advice here. Why haven't you gotten into IT yet?
    fo

I have been holding out for a library gig but that hasn't worked out as of yet.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm curious, do you have an MLS, or an MLIS? Are you a member of the ALA? I had considered joining the ALA when I worked for a library years ago (and possibly becoming a librarian myself.) The ALA would have job postings nationwide.

Sadly, librarians (even senior ones) get paid crap. (Though it would be a great gig for someone like me if I ever retire...lmao.) It'd be better than Walmart greeter... icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    The problem with help desk and desk support gigs (at least the one's I have seen) are either just a tad more than I make now ($9 an hour) or requires 3-5 years experience for than anything that is $15-20 an hour. Basically, I am looking in the wrong places or it's not the golden egg it used to be?
    What region are you in? I've never seen a real helpdesk position that was less than $12/hr, and most are more like $14-$16 to start, and they don't require experience, regardless of what the job postings say.

Where you go from here is entirely up to what interests you. If you're just looking for a profession to do to make a living, something a long the lines of radiology tech jobs make more sense. People that just look for a job and pursue IT usually end up working helpdesk forever and never make more than $20/hr. I realize that probably doesn't sound so bad for someone making $9 an hour, but there are professions that are just as future-proof and recession proof that make that much or more and probably are less stressful than helpdesk. Low-level IT support jobs should be seen as a stepping stone to higher-level jobs, not as career choices.

In short, if you don't have a serious interest in this type of work, don't start it. There are lots of other fields to make middle-class wages in.

If you really are interested in IT and you want to go back to a state school, go for computer science.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Don't worry, I do not have the problem of thinking that IT is a "golden egg." And yes, I have seen jobs that are only paying $10-11 an hour. Considering that I make $9 an hour now, it's not going to be worth it. However, if I could find something that pays ~$15-16 an hour, it may well be worth the the time and effort.

In the regard to librarian positions right now, it's very hard right now. I am just tired. I am tired of my current job and I'm tired of being rejected.

If I end up going for IT, I am going to try to get a campus job (hopefully PC support) and quit my current job. Hopefully, I will be able to add in an internship or two. With all of this, I will be able to omit my MLS and all of my library experience to avoid the the label of being overqualified.

The reason that I am considering IT is because it is most closely related to library science. If I end up going for IT, especially for end user support and networking (and possibly web design and development), it will give me a leg up for library and higher education employment. I do like computers and technology; I just didn't pick this out of a hat.

In short, if I earn an AAS and a liberal arts BS along with the A+ and Network+ in addition to my current job, student job, and 1-2 internships, would I be able find a job that pays ~$15 an hour?
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    What region are you in? I've never seen a real helpdesk position that was less than $12/hr, and most are more like $14-$16 to start, and they don't require experience, regardless of what the job postings say.

Where you go from here is entirely up to what interests you. If you're just looking for a profession to do to make a living, something a long the lines of radiology tech jobs make more sense. People that just look for a job and pursue IT usually end up working helpdesk forever and never make more than $20/hr. I realize that probably doesn't sound so bad for someone making $9 an hour, but there are professions that are just as future-proof and recession proof that make that much or more and probably are less stressful than helpdesk. Low-level IT support jobs should be seen as a stepping stone to higher-level jobs, not as career choices.

In short, if you don't have a serious interest in this type of work, don't start it. There are lots of other fields to make middle-class wages in.

If you really are interested in IT and you want to go back to a state school, go for computer science.

I am living in Indiana. I would love to get a job in Chicago and Indianapolis is my second pick right now. However, I am open to moving to another region. Honestly, IT sounds much more interestingly to me than radiology right now. Also, IT and web design is much more similar to libraries. So in the end, IT is the more logical choice.

I know I could move in networking from help desk and desktop support roles, but could I translated into web design or database gigs from help desks roles?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can earn $15/hr without the degree. Get the certs and a job. It might be that you start at $12 or $14, but $15 or more won't be far away. More certs and experience will mean more money later.

If you go back to school, earn a tech-related BS. An AAS will not enhance your value. Do not waste time and money on it. Self-teach the skills and get the certifications, and you should be able to reach your short-term goals.

You can transition into almost anything with the right resume and patience. Helpdesk is more in line with other support jobs, but industry experience, skills, knowledge, and credential combined can still qualify you for other positions. If you're more strongly considering web design or DBA work you should more strongly consider a computer science or computer information systems degree. The degree is more important in those fields than certifications, although your abilities are ultimately what matter the most.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I absolutely would agree with ptilsen on this. If you prefer a more practical route, getting a cert have have more value. The fact that you already have a degree is generally sufficient to get started in IT.

Fwiw- I do not have a degree and it has not slowed me down yet. I am also well compensated for what I do.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I was in your position I would just start working on certifications. For the most part a degree is a degree in IT. Obviously there will be exception, but I wouldn't bother with pursuing another degree.
  • Options
    You can earn $15/hr without the degree. Get the certs and a job. It might be that you start at $12 or $14, but $15 or more won't be far away. More certs and experience will mean more money later.

If you go back to school, earn a tech-related BS. An AAS will not enhance your value. Do not waste time and money on it. Self-teach the skills and get the certifications, and you should be able to reach your short-term goals.

You can transition into almost anything with the right resume and patience. Helpdesk is more in line with other support jobs, but industry experience, skills, knowledge, and credential combined can still qualify you for other positions. If you're more strongly considering web design or DBA work you should more strongly consider a computer science or computer information systems degree. The degree is more important in those fields than certifications, although your abilities are ultimately what matter the most.

Well, I would consider going back to the state university where I graduated the first time but I don't want to take business courses as it being part of the business school. Also, I need to go back to school because I am person who needs structure. I have tried studying for the A+ by myself and it did not go well because I can't study every day because I work 10's and I become distracted on weekends. Plus, if I go back to school I would have a chance do internships and get a related student job so I could rack up more "direct experience."
  • Options
    Well, I would consider going back to the state university where I graduated the first time but I don't want to take business courses as it being part of the business school. Also, I need to go back to school because I am person who needs structure. I have tried studying for the A+ by myself and it did not go well because I can't study every day because I work 10's and I become distracted on weekends. Plus, if I go back to school I would have a chance do internships and get a related student job so I could rack up more "direct experience."

The A+ does not require a college education. That being said, you could attend a community/tech college that has a Cisco Academy or a Microsoft/Red Hat type academy. I don't see a high enough return in paying for a class to pass the A+. I only spent a month studying for it.
  • Options
    The A+ does not require a college education. That being said, you could attend a community/tech college that has a Cisco Academy or a Microsoft/Red Hat type academy. I don't see a high enough return in paying for a class to pass the A+. I only spent a month studying for it.

My local community college might have a Cisco Academy. I am going to look into that. I know I have heard others saying they only studied for the A+ and past it but I have a bad track record with self study.
  • Options
    My local community college might have a Cisco Academy. I am going to look into that. I know I have heard others saying they only studied for the A+ and past it but I have a bad track record with self study.

Just treat it like a college class. Take notes, set a deadline, and make time to study. It's really not that bad.
  • Options
    Just treat it like a college class. Take notes, set a deadline, and make time to study. It's really not that bad.

I have tried that before and it didn't work. I may try again. Also I checked my local CC does not have a Cisco Academy or Red Hat program.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're more strongly considering web design or DBA work you should more strongly consider a computer science or computer information systems degree. The degree is more important in those fields than certifications, although your abilities are ultimately what matter the most.
    Right. You could wave an A+, Network+, Security+, Quad CCIE, and MCSE at a web development job.. and you're going to lose out on a high-end website front-end to someone who has some degree related to graphical design or a tantilizing art portfolio, and on a high-end website back-end to someone who has some degree related to programming.

These are areas where certifications don't tend to impress as much, although there are certifications related to web design tools that can help you work more effectively. I also don't see experience administering computers or networks helping in most cases.

As far as budget web design, you can do that without any training, education, or experience.. but you will be competing on a cost basis against students, offshore workers, and templates. Given the low margins, I would describe that as a gig more than a career.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have tried that before and it didn't work. I may try again. Also I checked my local CC does not have a Cisco Academy or Red Hat program.

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

This would be perfect for you. You get the structure of a class, while enjoying the benefits of self study. You can invest in $30 (or more) in very decent headphones to attach to your laptop to avoid distractions, and then take notes. While you can probably email Professor Messer whatever questions you have, you can always post them in the appropriate forum here (A+, Network+, etc.) and have them answered.

Oh, and the best part of the professor Messer videos...they are free! No student loans, no credit cards, no nothing...just 100% free.
  • Options
    someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah i agree with erpadmin... been hanging out in prof messer's site for the past month or so and he is there in the chatroom all the time to give advice.. hes awesome
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???
  • Options

I have finally decided to pull the trigger. I' am going to register for summer classes tomorrow at my local community college. I know a lot of you are imploring me to go the self teach way but I need to go back to school for practical experience (student job and internships) and personal reasons (like cutting down at my current job which is getting to me).
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    You had your mind set on going back to school, you asked here and everyone advised you not to. Good luck with your decision icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I remember going back to school because I believed my self-study habits were poor. I then learned that college consisted of 100% self-study lol. Not only must you self-study all of the material, but you are also being graded on how much you can absorb in a usually unreasonable short amount of time.

The truth is if I had to do it all over again, I would not waste the time I have wasted on school; however, we must live & learn.

So good luck!
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do not know your story, but having a degree is a requirement for every job I see that is worth having.

Go to school for a degree that will earn a good salary such as xxx engineering, finance, computer science, law, etc.

If engineering and science is not your style (understandable as the math requirements demand a special kind of person, then you could focus on a technology degree such as Information technology, Information systems, Network Security, Information Assurance, etc.

Another route, which may be the smartest if you are older is to pursue a degree that is the cheapest, fastest, or both. There are bachelors degrees out there that can be earned in 12 to 14 months to just get a degree on your resume as fast as possible. Cheapest routes usually include earning your bachelors through a community college program that has a bachelors completion type program after you finish your associates and you pay CC credit rates for the entire program. That can be the cheapest.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    Some of you may remember me asking a lot questions in addition to being directionless a few years ago with the state of my career and life. Also as some of you may remember, I had graduated with a Masters in Library Science and searched for a librarian position for more than three years but ended up working in a dead end job in a call center. I finally decided to get off my ass and went back to school for an AAS in IT last fall. I am graduating this semester. Not only I am graduating, I become CompTIA A+, Network+, and as of this afternoon Security+ certified. And that is not all. I just completed my first month working as an IT support specialist for academic computer labs at a Big 10 school. I am not where I want to be but I am sure as hell a lot closer than I was two years ago, and I’m getting there. I do not know what 2015 will bring me in terms of certifications or my career but I know get to the promise land. With all of that being said, I want to thank each and every one of you for your support and guidance and happy holidays!