Is there an advantage to have sip phones over sccp.

techiietechiie Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if there is any need to load the sip files to cisco phones in a single site. Can i accomplish the same task with cisco phones running skinny which will be calling out via sip trunks.

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Not really.

The SIP phones are actually at a disadvantage as they don't have all the features of SCCP phones, and in CUCM intergrated with LDAP you have problems with having to create user accounts for all the phones, then when someone gets the bright idea to use the same username password for all the phones, then another guy gets the bright idea to delete or change the password to that account, guess what??????
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • techiietechiie Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lol duly noted.
    Lots of experience, and hair pulling from living the VOIP life.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Showdown,

So what is the advantage of using SIP? The last time I looked at Voice was in CCNA Voice. I always hear people or setups that use SIP versus the cisco control protocols.
    You aren't stuck using Cisco phones. If you have some phones that support SIP you can use them without having to make a investment into cisco phones. If you are already using cisco phones you don't have to do the username/password business I mentioned above if you use SIP, but I honesty can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'll check the doc's and reply back. My question is why do you want to use SIP?
    Currently Reading

• spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't. I asked what would be the advantage of using SIP versus the other protocols?
    I think there are few if any, if you want to use cheaper phones SIP gives you some options. The polycom conference phones are a few hundred dollars, the cisco 7937 is a thousand dollars. That's the only advantage I see.
    Currently Reading

• Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well like Sho mentioned basically lets you use whatever voip phone with whatever vendor (cisco, avaya, etc) as long as they are talking the same language (SIP). It allows you to be more flexible then having to stick with one brand. For example cisco phones running sccp only talk to cisco devices since its vendor specific.