Options

Can i Get a job from another country?

rodrigo081089rodrigo081089 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, i´m new here, my name is Nicolas and i´m from Uruguay.
I am studing the ccnp and if i have lucky i´ll finish its on december. My question is if anybody know if is possible get a job if i don´t have American nacionality, i know it exist the visa H1-B but maybe the companies does not hired people that way.
If any foreing was hired i hope he can share the experience, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Hi guys, i´m new here, my name is Nicolas and i´m from Uruguay.
    I am studing the ccnp and if i have lucky i´ll finish its on december. My question is if anybody know if is possible get a job if i don´t have American nacionality, i know it exist the visa H1-B but maybe the companies does not hired people that way.
    If any foreing was hired i hope he can share the experience, thanks.

No. There's plenty of networking jobs to be had in South America and a US company is not going to go to the trouble of bringing you here unless you bring advanced Cisco certification and a lot of experience.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Unfortunately, I think WafflesAndRootbeer is correct... In order to convince a company that they should sponsor you for a work visa, you'll need a lot of experience and qualifications that aren't commonly found in the US. That being said, there are plenty of jobs with American companies in the South and Central America that you could work for, and then eventually see if you can be transferred to a US-based location. If your goal is to come to the US, there are many ways to make it happen, you just have to be patient...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Thanks, i'm thinking maybe on december i´ll try send a few cv and if i don´t have lucky, i´ll move to europe to make experience first
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks, i'm thinking maybe on december i´ll try send a few cv and if i don´t have lucky, i´ll move to europe to make experience first
    There just aren't enough Americans with a CS/EE degree + a CCNA or JNCIA driven to go into networking in any particular calendar year. Many in my area solve that dilemma by hiring outside the country. These are people with little to no experience but who meet all the requirements and preferences of the role. If you have good qualifications, you have a real chance.

We also sponsor intermediate/senior people with expertise we can't find enough of here. The list of experts in any particular technology or protocol is relatively small.
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Companies have to prove that they can’t find the ‘suitable candidate’ locally (using ‘resident labour market test’) before they can sponsor work permits to non-residents.
    You really need to be exceptional to be called from a different country.
  • Options
    Vik210 wrote: »
    Companies have to prove that they can’t find the ‘suitable candidate’ locally (using ‘resident labour market test’) before they can sponsor work permits to non-residents.

I don´t know what is exceptional, because now i have the CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security and on december i will have CCNP, do you think that is enough?

Thanks all for your help
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555

That's why the Zero2CCIE programs are so popular in Asia. Almost guaranteed immigration to another country.
  • Options
    Vik210 wrote:
    Companies have to prove that they can’t find the ‘suitable candidate’ locally
    That's what why corporations have HR departments, to cut through the red tape. :)
    I don´t know what is exceptional, because now i have the CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security and on december i will have CCNP, do you think that is enough?
    If you have a CCNA, CCNA Voice, and CCNA Security and a CS/EE degree you're a shoe-in. We already have plenty of people who didn't bother with college in the states.

Realize that adding a CCNP significantly raises the knowledge and experience bar here. A week ago I posted about a guy we would've hired, but for having a CCNP he couldn't back up.
  • Options
    I ask you another question if you don´t care. What are the topics in CS/EE degree?
    Because in my university, the topics are: networking basic, windows server basic, linux basic, digital video
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    It is possible. How many Indians get hired on H-1b visas every year? I don't think they all possess "extraordinary abilities."
  • Options
    I ask you another question if you don´t care. What are the topics in CS/EE degree?
    Because in my university, the topics are: networking basic, windows server basic, linux basic, digital video

http://cs.stanford.edu/degrees/undergrad/ProgramSheets/CSE_Network_1011PS.pdf
  • Options

Great, thanks. I've read the pdf and my conclusion is i don´t have any degree. My university´s title is different
  • Options
    sratakhin wrote: »
    It is possible. How many Indians get hired on H-1b visas every year? I don't think they all possess "extraordinary abilities."
    Your right, they are not exceptional.
    Visa rules are more complicated than they look. Most of Indians come on ‘Inter Company Transfer’ Visa. This is when they work for MNCs in India and go to western countries for projects. Once you are there, you obviously have many more options.
    Other than that, if someone is in a country (they don’t belong to) on a business/ short term work visa and gets a job (may be a temp/ contract); he/she can apply under ‘continuity of job’. Companies don’t have to perform labour market test in this case.
    Coming back to the original post; it’s very difficult to be called from a different county.
    I have advertised couple of jobs for system admins in London for my company. We were offering £30k pa, which I would say is quite average for London. Trust me; I got little less than 300 CVs – all locals. Do you really think I will even bother myself by calling someone in other part of the world for taking a telephonic interview, prepare visa documentation, wait for months for them to come and what’s the guaranty that candidate has not asked a senior to give the interview?
    Btw, our CFO was interviewed over the phone and he came from far east to join. Now he is an exception, he was a CFO for one of the leading company (from same sector we work in) for last 24 years!
  • Options
    I got little less than 300 CVs – all locals.
    This's quite common. Again, add a couple filters, and the number drops quickly. I've posted on here before that 900 candidates became a dozen with a simple CS/EE + CCNA/JNCIA filter, and only two could "talk the talk", and they both required sponsoring. They were already here on student visas, which simplified the interview process. No flying in from overseas required.
    Do you really think I will even bother myself by calling someone in other part of the world for taking a telephonic interview
    Getting a great employee for 3-5 years is worth many 20-minute phone calls.
    prepare visa documentation
    HR's job.
    wait for months for them to come
    If you need a warm body today, there are contracting firms. For a full-time position, you're usually looking to take your time and find a very good long-term fit.
    and what’s the guaranty that candidate has not asked a senior to give the interview?
    The in-person interview that follows the phone interview would determine this.

We just hired someone from a foreign country. We relied on a trusted interviewer who was already in their country. I've talked to them, but can't wait to meet them. :)
  • Options
    @NetworkVeteran
    My motive is not to demoralize anyone and I do apologies if I have said anything unpleasant. I understand economics and know the importance of working with multi-cultural environment.
    The issue is when people make this ‘relocation’ there motive and start crafting them as they see others working in those countries. Years gets wasted and all this happens without the understanding of dynamics involved and at the end many will just get demotivated and blame the situation or even country’s law or people. Some don’t see the complete picture and think it’s doable with just a certification or degree.
    I would rather suggest these people to start local and get some experience. Do not try to substitute experience with certification or vice versa. If you have a good mixture of formal education/ certification/ skills/ experience you will be where ever you want to be. Probably when you are well informed and aware, you will take an educated decision about what/ where you want to be.