Options

**** Dish, switch to Hulu?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I killed cable a long time ago. Do I miss it? Well, this year I missed the Olympics and the "Hatfields n' McCoys". Generally, I feel family life improved as the amount of television in it decreased! I watch sports live or at a sports bar with friends. More fun than the couch. :)

I believe you can now watch all the replays of the Olympics on NBCOlympics.com.

I did miss some of it as I am a cable killer as well :) but their site has been great for catching the replays and the obcsure sports that weren't broadcast on regular TV.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I have 2 roku's in my house, amazing little device
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    SephStorm wrote: »
    My biggest concerns going cable free are programming from channels like discovery, natgeo, and whatever the name of that trucrime network. I dont think that stuff is on hulu.

I know that stuff is on Netflix.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Nova is on Amazon prime, I've caught a few of those although not through the PS3 but via their site, then Ipad.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We dumped Dish a while back and have no regrets. Netflix is great for kids shows, and my wife likes to watch all those 80's movies. I don't watch much TV myself, but if I'm watching something for myself and not just sitting with the kids, I'm probably using Hulu, Netflix, and my antenna equally.

If you get the Roku, you can access clips from ESPN, CNN, NBC, FOXNews, etc by downloading a channel for it. No, you can't just veg out in front of the TV and watch SportsCenter or whatever tabloid sensationalist flavor of the month on the 24-hour news channel, but you can get all your highlights, and there are no shortage of NFL games available on your local channels if you are in the US. I'm fortunate enough to have ESPN3 streaming offered by my ISP without needing a TV subscription, so I have other options as well.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    boxleftyboxlefty Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This thread reminded me I need to order a replacement roku remote! I've been using an app since I lost the dang thing
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    We haven't had cable in about 6 years, and won't go back. We have a lot of movies, a Netflix streaming account, a few iTunes subscriptions for hard to find shows (my wife had to see Legend of Korra) and a set of rabbit ears. Those will be getting replaced in a month or so for an actual OTA antenna in the attic.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have Netflix and Hulu Plus and barely use either. Hulu is great if you like trendy shows, but they don't even carry "It's Always Sunny"....wtf??? I'm also a bit annoyed that despite paying I still have to sit through commercials. I especially hate how each commercial asks me: "Is this advertisement relevant to you?" - Could they have worded this any way to sound more like a corporate marketing feedback tool? Every time I answer 'no' I can almost hear the analytic algorithms going off in the background meticulously determining who I am, what my tastes are, and how best to market their crap to me in the future.

Netflix just plane sucks, it used to be good, but now its only good if you like watching documentaries and movies from the 50's. Good luck if you want new releases through their streaming option, or any movie somewhat popular for that matter.

Sorry, but I just love my DVR too much. I don't watch a lot of TV but what I do watch is recorded so I can skip through the commercials. Sure it's pricey, but I get what I want. Online streaming services are a great idea in theory, but so far they haven't proven to be a complete alternative. In my opinion they are just a cheaper option, and you get what you pay for.

Dish is a bit expensive though, but I do think they have the best DVR receiver, (at least I still miss it). I have Verizon FIOS now which is okay, but the Dish DVR was just a much better piece of equipment. Unfortunately their service was priced ridiculously so its been some time since I've had their service.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    astrogeek wrote: »

Sorry, but I just love my DVR too much. I don't watch a lot of TV but what I do watch is recorded so I can skip through the commercials. Sure it's pricey, but I get what I want. Online streaming services are a great idea in theory, but so far they haven't proven to be a complete alternative. In my opinion they are just a cheaper option, and you get what you pay for.

now it's still pricey up front.. but if you want a DVR you can get a Tivo to record off OTA signals.. I used that system for over 2 years with the Roku in another room
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark