Options

Is this a good opportunity? Need Advice!

As many of you might recall, I'm a recent career switcher. I've been working the entry-level IT circuit now for a few months and today I got an offer that seems to be the "break" I've been looking for, I'm just not sure about a few things:

The position is a lot more technical. Servers (building, maintaining, administering), networking (mostly layer 1 and 2 troubleshooting; no switch/router configuration); DHCP and DNS stuff, lots of virtualization.

The pay seems low for the amount of responsibility but is just a tad more than what I make now. They also said in 6 months they'll do a review and depending on that, I could be looking at another raise.

They were upfront and said this new division is basically a startup, they have about 40 clients as is and are looking to aggressively expand. They only have a current engineering team of 6, so that means long hours. They said 10-12 hours will be common with a likelihood of working weekends.

It sounds like a great opportunity but this is what I'm concerned about:
  • Is working 10-12 hours a day (and possibly weekends) going to make me hate life?
  • How risky is working at a smaller company that has a new startup division?
  • If I'm taking on more responsibility should I be pushing for more money even though I dont have the experience to necessarily leverage more pay?

***UPDATE***

Thanks to everyone for the great advice, you guys rock! As for the decision, I've decided to go ahead and take the position. I will definitely be out of my "comfort zone" but I think that's what I need to really grow professionally. I talked with the director of the division that I'd be hired for and he very happily answered all my questions and addressed all my concerns (which I had a lot). He mentioned 10-12 hour shifts wouldnt be an every day occurrence and working weekends would only happen a few times a month, if at all. The best part is that after 6 months they would review my performance and depending on how well I'm doing I could be looking at another raise. Suffice to say, all of that plus a small bump in salary now plus (and this is the big one) working with systems and network engineers and their projects is going to open a lot of doors for me, or at least I hope so!
:study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No one can really answer if it will make you miserable besides yourself. I did some time like that and it wasn't that bad if you like what you are doing. It can be draining though. My boss did as much as possible to give us comp time when things were slow to make up for it. So, I'd say a lot depends on the culture at work. Will they be willing to let you take a half day or free day off now and then to make up for the work or are they going to be slave drivers? That would be my biggest concern.

A start up is always risky obviously, but how risky is hard to tell without further info.

Always push for more money but know your value. If you think you are worth more than they have offered then make a reasonable counter offer and be prepared to offer reasons why you are worth more than they initially offered.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    efrippefripp Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you need experience, it sounds like a great idea. Get what you can get from the opportunity, and if it gets the best of you, move on. You carry that experience with you in so many ways. I've been in this position before years ago. Put in the hard work upfront, and it'll pay off later. GL whatever your choice.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would get the six month review with raise in writing, unless you willing to go without it. Other then that, if it gives you the skills to get where you want to go I say go for it! Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Is working 10-12 hours a day (and possibly weekends) going to make me hate life?

Maybe. I work 12 hr shift, rotates every month between day and night. My wife hates it, I don't mind as it gives me lots of time to focus on school and certifications.
    How risky is working at a smaller company that has a new startup division?

Very risky but ask yourself if the risk is worth it. Do you have family, bills to pay, etc? Small companies have their pros/cons, you will sure learn a lot and wear many hats.
    If I'm taking on more responsibility should I be pushing for more money even though I dont have the experience to necessarily leverage more pay?
    Your pay depends on your experience and expertise. Their probably taking advantage of you because of this. I worked for small companies and trust me, you will get overworked and underpaid. In my case, my previous boss thought it was okay not to pay for overtime unless he billed the client. I learned a lot but got out of their quick!

There's sacrifices to be made here, if you don't like your current job and would like to break into IT with low pay, go for it. Get the experience, grind hard, then move forward. Look forward to sleepless nights.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What are you doing right now? Helpdesk?

The 10 hour days will wear on you, but if you're doing what you love to do it won't affect you as much. Sounds like you'd be introduced to a myriad of technologies. And while I agree a startup can be risky, it can be equally rewarding.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Depends on the company. Could be great experience.

I will say that working 12 hour night shifts right now is making me hate life and my wife hates it just as much. Course my schedule hasn't changed in the last two years. Maybe a day shift would be different. But I will tell you it can be exhausting. I used to work 6 10s plus go to school and it was easier. But that was a day shift so I got more sleep and had no family either. My how things change. LOL

Edit to add:

Of course I'm no longer 20 anymore either so it might be different if you're younger and if you're working days.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Experience is more important than money when you're just getting started. That doesn't mean take whatever they offer you, but if you want to get into an Admin role, and they are offering the best experience with acceptable pay, take it.

It can be very risky working for a startup MSP. Places like that can come and go in a hurry. You have to figure out what pay you'd need to feel comfortable with the increased risk but understand that you only have a few months of "entry level IT" experience. If what you're worth isn't enough to make you feel comfortable, then pass it up.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    ***UPDATE***

Thanks to everyone for the great advice, you guys rock! As for the decision, I've decided to go ahead and take the position. I will definitely be out of my "comfort zone" but I think that's what I need to really grow professionally. I talked with the director of the division that I'd be hired for and he very happily answered all my questions and addressed all my concerns (which I had a lot). He mentioned 10-12 hour shifts wouldnt be an every day occurrence and working weekends would only happen a few times a month, if at all. The best part is that after 6 months they would review my performance and depending on how well I'm doing I could be looking at another raise. Suffice to say, all of that plus a small bump in salary now plus (and this is the big one) working with systems and network engineers and their projects is going to open a lot of doors for me, or at least I hope so!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Awesome! I hope it all works out for you. One of the good things about a start up is as it grows you get to grow with it. Lots of room for advancement as more people are hired on. Getting in at the beginning is risky but can be very rewarding as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    Congrats! Seems like a great opportunity.
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!! You are moving in the right direction and will start to get to your goals before you know it!
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!