New to IT Security, were should I start?

kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey All. I'm currently attending WGU for a IT Sec degree, and I was wondering, while studying, what domain of security should I focus on? I will obtain two security related certs as part of my degree requirements (Security+ and CCNA-Security), but those are a long ways off. I currently work in desktop support. Any suggestions?
WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
Courses:
Done!!!

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took Security+ Before CCNA:Security (Which i'm doing now). Im glad I took the Security+ before CCNA:Security. It makes a lot more sense to me now I had some dealings with Security, ontop of CCNA knowledge... it's a beautiful transisition. I see a lot of topics popping up from S+ so it makes sense when looking at it from a cisco view point.

Keep in mind, for CCNA:Security, you'll need to have your CCNA first or any CCIE. Odds are, you'll get your CCNA first.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Instead of asking what area's you should focus on, you should ask yourself what areas of security your interested in learning. Security+ is a good starting point. Do a search of security fields and start from there.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Yes please
    what G33k said

IT Security is not a magical world where you go
    Its like saying I like Science! I want to work in Science!

There are tons of areas inside security, there is the System/Server side, there is the Network Side, there is the Code part and more
    inside those there are more areas like IPS/IDS, Forensics, SANS, App protection, viruses...
    Its a world!
    You should start with your basic security certs if you want or are new to the field
    like ccna, ccna security, Security+, some MS one (not a MS guy, someone else can tell you more specifics when it comes to MS security)
    And see what field of security you like and then work towards that
    meh
  • Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the above posters, Security+ is a good starting point leading in to the CCNA Security.

You could also look into the ISC2 SSCP, which is more focused on information security topics.
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Also, check out this site SANS Information, Network, Computer Security Training, Research, Resources It has a wealth of information about security.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with the above posters, Security+ is a good starting point leading in to the CCNA Security.

You could also look into the ISC2 SSCP, which is more focused on information security topics.

IMO, anyone considering SSCP should just go CISSP instead. It is a fairly big step up. With that said, there's a world of difference in marketability between the two certifications. Also, having both doesn't make you anymore marketable than someone with just CISSP.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.