application layer questions

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
I know CCNA is focus on router/switch. But I still see questions like below,

Which email components are used to forward mail between servers? (Choose two.)
MDA
IMAP
MTA
POP
SMTP
MUA

All I know about email is POP protocol is one of them. Should I dig further? Any other application protocols I should prepare for???

Comments

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wouldnt SMTP and IMAP be used to forward mail between servers? Isnt POP only for recieving mail?

As for your question it is good to have an understanding of all the protocols that exsist in the OSI+TCP/IP Layers. For example, as a network engineer you would be using the ping command often right? Well you should also know that ping uses the ICMP protocol to report back error messeges. Protocols are VERY important when it comes to routers and switches. At least I think they are lol.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MDA
    IMAP
    MTA
    POP
    SMTP
    MUA
    See questions like this... where? I can't remember ever answering a question like this on a Cisco certification exam. This sounds more like Network+ territory or Microsoft territory.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with NetworkVeteran, this doesn't seem like any question you'd be expected to answer on a Cisco exam.

You will want to know where things fall within the OSI model, but nothing specific like this I wouldn't think.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Definitely a Network+ centric type question.. SMTP transfers email across the internet, and Pop/IMPA4 retrieves it from those servers, but I wouldn't expect you to see a specific question like that for the ccent/icnd2
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's an N+ style question, but might (might) be a CCNA question. Having said that, I'm sure they'd prefer to ask something about subnetting instead.
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    I agree it sounds more like a N+, Sec+, or Microsoft type question and for N+ or Sec+ would be more limited to which ports would be used.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I had a question similar to that on my A+ exam.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    But same question i was encountered in a ebook but actually i don't know that much of application layer and i knew there is a function that message, database print etc. but i din't go so deeply. :D
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • MusixaMusixa Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know CCNA is focus on router/switch. But I still see questions like below,

MDA
    IMAP
    MTA
    POP
    SMTP
    MUA

All I know about email is POP protocol is one of them. Should I dig further? Any other application protocols I should prepare for???

I didn't encounter this type of question during my CCNA exam, but I did remembered encountering this question when I was reviewing in Cisco Networking Academy if I'm not mistaken.

SMTP is the protocol used for sending e-mail, while POP is the protocol used for receiving e-mail.
    MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) and MDA (Mail Delivery Agent) are examples of Email Server Processes.
    MTA is used to forward e-mail on another e-mail server implementing the SMTP protocol. So, if a mail is passed to a server, the receiving server will pass it to another server when the mail isn't locally hosted by it until the mail is sent to the proper server. MTA is used in this process. When it reached the proper server, mail is passed to MDA to address it to the user in the local server.
    Im not quite sure about IMAP, but I think that it is used for the retrieval of e-mail. Just like POP. MUA (Mail User Agent) is used to compose e-mail messages. It allows messages to be sent and places received messages into the client's mailbox.

So if I would to answer the question, the answers would be MTA and SMTP since these two are used to forward mail between servers.
    But in my opinion, you might not need to dig further with these email components, if you are preparing for CCNA. Basic knowledge to this ones are sufficient enough. I hope this helps. icon_thumright.gif