Options

Degree Finished - Advice!

Henry is GodHenry is God Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Finished up my degree in Computer Systems & Networking in June. Came out with a distinction degree averaging 80% which I was over the moon with. On top of that I acquired my CCNA and will hopefully have my MCITP Server Admin finished off by the end of the year. Training and learning is complete it is now just a matter of exam preparation.

I personally feel that going back for my honours year would not be as beneficial as securing a job with what I have now. I have the grounding, and 18 months experience of Helpdesk/Installation Tech through part time/voluntary, and feel I would develop more in the workplace than writing out a dissertation over the course of a year.

The UK market, and the country in general, is black at the moment and I can't see it getting better anytime soon. I am caught in a dilemma if to just apply for anything, and potentially undersell myself, or just go all out and get a working visa in Australia or somewhere similar and chance my arm trying to secure a position over there. The roles that do interest me in the UK job market seem to be wanting 3-5 years experience!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    There are a lot of graduate jobs in UK. Give it a try, someone with a degree and certifications can certainly get a good start.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, with a good degree, you've got a good head start on those without.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Thanks guys. Any ideas in regards to the type of position I should be applying for?

The UK does have some graduate opportunities, but even then some are demanding experience in certain field areas that I do not have. Not just the job market, but the UK in general is a very black place to be at the moment. Had the soul ripped out of it and reading the papers everyday just hammers home how screwed up our government and justice system actually is. Perhaps that side of things is for an off topic section icon_lol.gif

I appreciate the input.
  • Options
    I think if you will apply for Graduate jobs, most of them just give an option for department. I mean you have to select IT/ Finance/ and things like that.
    Do you have anything like a ‘career centre’ in your uni? They can give you all the info you need regarding companies and deadlines.
  • Options
    What kind of role should I be applying for? 1st line tech and that sort thing?

Thanks
  • Options
    Depends on what you want. There are options for support/ software development/ research analyst and many more.
    As I said, with most of the companies, you only need to apply for "IT Graduate Jobs", rest gets decided at interview.