Options

What does a network engineer/admin/tech actually do?

dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am pretty interested in getting into networking but I don't really know what the actual job entails. For example, what do things such as "Linux OS & filesystems" and "Basic programming/scripting experience" actually mean. Can anyone who has worked in networking share some info with me as far as to what they do when it comes to linux OS and basic programming?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "Basic programming/scripting experience"

This would typically be a role where you want someone who can write a short script or update an existing one, but don't have sophisticated goals which would prefer someone with a development background (complex tasks, easy to use, easy to maintain, well-documented, high-performance, multi-platform, harder language, etc.)

For example, the tasks might include writing a script that monitors the health of aspects of a network not easily monitored by an NMS, or that repeats common sequences of commands. It might also include making simple updates to existing scripts, such as which e-mail aliases to notify when an event occurs.

• Options
    Thanks very much. I ask because I was contacted by an employer for a junior networking job which requires 5 years of networking experience. I don't have any experience but the employer knows this and I was told to come in this friday so we can talk about the job. The employer wants to give me a shot and I was told that I could be trained as they are also looking for someone who they can mold to their liking. Since I am meeting with the employer this friday, I want to learn a thing or two before I head in there. I am not expected to know anything, but at the same time I don't want to look like an idiot.

This would typically be a role where you want someone who can write a short script or update an existing one, but don't have sophisticated goals which would prefer someone with a development background (complex tasks, easy to use, easy to maintain, well-documented, high-performance, multi-platform, harder language, etc.)

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jackal wrote:
    I am not expected to know anything, but at the same time I don't want to look like an idiot.
    Great idea! If you choose to learn something about scripting before your interview, my advice would be to find out what language they primarily prefer to use (Bash, Perl, Awk, Tcl/Expect, etc.).. and then pick up an O'Reilly book on it. Those are the white books with animal covers found in most bookstores. A couple days should be enough to answer the simplest questions. :)

(Of course, there are many other areas you could learn-up on!)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The 'Linux OS & filesystems' part is probably along the same lines as the scripting. They probably want you to be able to run scripts, update files in NMS, parse syslog etc. Just know your way around the CLI a bit and how to move around within the structure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. I'm going to look into that.
    Great idea! If you choose to learn something about scripting before your interview, my advice would be to find out what language they primarily prefer to use (Bash, Perl, Awk, Tcl/Expect, etc.).. and then pick up an O'Reilly book on it. Those are the white books with animal covers found in most bookstores. A couple days should be enough to answer the simplest questions. :)

(Of course, there are many other areas you could learn-up on!)
  • Options
    Thank you. I will also be looking into that.
    The 'Linux OS & filesystems' part is probably along the same lines as the scripting. They probably want you to be able to run scripts, update files in NMS, parse syslog etc. Just know your way around the CLI a bit and how to move around within the structure.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Research them as much as you can in advance so you have a better idea of what they do, this will help in the interview. I'd ask them what kind of networking equipment they have, Cisco, Juniper, etc. Also if they run wireless, voice over IP, etc. You might not know much about any of these, but asking about them will show you're interested in learning, even if they don't have any of that.

That sounds like a great opportunity so good luck!