Options

Relocation Question

JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
I have a few questions about relocation for those who have done it or those who do some hiring. I am looking to move to a better market after the first of the year, but my experience level puts me at about the NOC or Junior level for networking jobs. Ideally I would find a job before moving, but I'm wondering if employers even consider people who are not local for positions at these levels?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jackace wrote: »
    I have a few questions about relocation for those who have done it or those who do some hiring. I am looking to move to a better market after the first of the year, but my experience level puts me at about the NOC or Junior level for networking jobs. Ideally I would find a job before moving, but I'm wondering if employers even consider people who are not local for positions at these levels?
    Yes. Why would an employer care, if you interview on-time and can arrive by the start date? I've both relocated for jobs and recruited people who would need to relocate.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Are you looking for them to pay for your relocation? If so that may be harder at that level. I've done it a few times and always have been paid, but this was once I was a bit higher up the ladder.

If you are going to move yourself then like NetworkVeteran pointed out, I don't think it will be much issue.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I just figure the logistics for interviewing could be tough/expensive and employers don't want to bother with it at my level.

Getting some assistance for relocation would be nice, but I doubt I will find it at my level.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Someone once gave me the idea of negotiating relocation assistance and taking it out of the first year's salary. You then sign an agreement promising to stay for a year - Definitely an option if you really need help moving.
  • Options
    I just figure the logistics for interviewing could be tough/expensive and employers don't want to bother with it at my level.
    That's entirely different. If you're expecting the employer to pay you to come in for an interview--local or remote--that's obviously going to decrease your chances of landing an interview. It's not unheard of by any means. For all the of the positions I've taken, they paid any interview travel and any relocation expenses. Then again, I was in a better position to negotiate.
    YFZblu wrote:
    Someone once gave me the idea of negotiating relocation assistance and taking it out of the first year's salary. You then sign an agreement promising to stay for a year - Definitely an option if you really need help moving.
    Aye! Structured that way, only the smallest of employers should have a problem with it.
  • Options
    That's entirely different. If you're expecting the employer to pay you to come in for an interview--local or remote--that's obviously going to decrease your chances of landing an interview. It's not unheard of by any means. For all the of the positions I've taken, they paid any interview travel and any relocation expenses. Then again, I was in a better position to negotiate.

Aye! Structured that way, only the smallest of employers should have a problem with it.

The places I would be looking to move to would be hundreds of miles away. A plane flight would really be the only option. That's $200+ an interview. Not sure I can afford that more than once or twice.
  • Options
    The places I would be looking to move to would be hundreds of miles away. A plane flight would really be the only option. That's $200+ an interview. Not sure I can afford that more than once or twice.

I know an 18-year-old from a small town in Texas who made it out here. She saved up for her trip, lined up multiple interviews in my city, and then booked her flight. I've met people who've driven, carpooled, used hostels, and couch surfed. Fortune favors the bold and the hungry, mate.
  • Options
    I know an 18-year-old from a small town in Texas who made it out here. She saved up for her trip, lined up multiple interviews in my city, and then booked her flight. I've met people who've driven, carpooled, used hostels, and couch surfed. Fortune favors the bold and the hungry, mate.

I know I'm going to have to do something. I'm just trying to explore all my options and get some insight from people who have been there before. After the first of the year if I have a job somewhere I can get there. The problem is finding a job in another state while still keeping my current job and doing it without going broke flying around the country.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    where you are looking to go from/to?
  • Options
    Bokeh wrote: »
    where you are looking to go from/to?

Idaho to Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, or just about anywhere out west to stay somewhat close to family.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    At your level I think you will find more people are also willing to hire just based on phone interviews, the company I am with now even Skypes people for some interviews. Wanting to be close to family is usually a good sign to employers you will be around for awhile, so let them know that is your reason for coming. Don't say "better job market" because that makes it sound like you might want to hop around jobs to move up (nothing wrong with that imo but you just don't want them thinking that).
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree with Mike. Let folks know wanting to be close to family should help out.

Are you in the Boise area? When I lived in Sun Valley working for a WISP we got calls all the time asking if we wanted to relocate off the mountain to the cities.
  • Options
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I agree with Mike. Let folks know wanting to be close to family should help out.

Are you in the Boise area? When I lived in Sun Valley working for a WISP we got calls all the time asking if we wanted to relocate off the mountain to the cities.

Yes I'm in Boise. The IT market here is just saturated with qualified people who do not want to leave the area. It makes it hard for someone like me who is trying to move up. Mid and senior level people are applying for entry level jobs making half what they were making just to stay in the area. Too many companies have laid off IT staff or outsourced it in the area.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm in this same boat, looking to make a move. I've saved up vacation time and some additional funding, hope to schedule about a half a dozen interviews and drive out for a whirlwind week. Then again I have a specific city in mind for where i'd like to be, just throwing out a general area would be harder i'd imagine. I fully intend to look into moving compensation, I don't expect it, but I don't think it would hurt to ask the question.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I'm in this same boat, looking to make a move. I've saved up vacation time and some additional funding, hope to schedule about a half a dozen interviews and drive out for a whirlwind week.

Sounds like an excellent plan. May it bare much fruit for you! :)
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Having done basically the same move(Idaho border to Seattle) myself I can say it is a bit difficult. Personally I found just putting a local address helped me land a lot more interviews(I had family that was willing to let me use their address) and most companies didn't mind after I explained that I was planning on moving there as soon as I found work. I did make the drive a couple times for interviews but nothing ever worked out. I ended up saving up enough money to move, rent a house and then worked on finding a job full time.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Having done basically the same move(Idaho border to Seattle) myself I can say it is a bit difficult. Personally I found just putting a local address helped me land a lot more interviews(I had family that was willing to let me use their address) and most companies didn't mind after I explained that I was planning on moving there as soon as I found work. I did make the drive a couple times for interviews but nothing ever worked out. I ended up saving up enough money to move, rent a house and then worked on finding a job full time.

This is good advice. I have a feeling I will most likely have to move first and then find a job just like you. I am hoping I won't, but it will most likely be the route I am forced to take. If that is the case it will take a until next summer before I can afford to make that move. After the first of the year I will start looking and hope for the best while saving money. If I don't find something I will pick a location and just move.