Resume Critique Thread

HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
Okay, resume time. Any advice or tips on this, obviously company names and locations etc. have been removed. Greatly appreciate any feedback that's available! :D
WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Much better than many first resumes here. I only have time for a couple items--

Nit #1 For the employment dates, <Month>/<Year> is standard. Employers want to know your length of employment and whether there are any gaps you need to explain.

For example, "2011 - 2011".. was that a 1-month or 1-year gig?

For example, "2008-2010" followed by "2011-2011".. were you unemployed for almost two years?

Nit #2: Grammar.

"Working to develop comprehensive security policy standardization for client's needs, this includes mobile device management application evaluation."

"Work with the service manager with posting of billable support desk time, also assure that all engineer ticket entry is completed daily."
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keep the tenses constant just like Netvet just pointed out. Dunno if it's me computer or me eyes, but looks like the font's too big? Scale it down to a 10, try using Trebuchet MS and see if you like it.

I'd also list the more significant certs first. Move the Microsoft stuff up. Assign the comptia's to the bottom, that's where they should be. Your past entry level, maybe remove them completely unless the job requires it. You'll free up valuable real estate. This is how I have my certs:

CERTIFICATIONS/EDUCATION

• VMware Certified Professional – VCP 5
    • VMware Technical Sales Professional – VTSP 5

• MCITP : Enterprise Administrator – MCITP : EA
    • MCSA : Messaging (on Exchange Server 2003)

• MCTS (on Windows Server 2008, Network Infrastructure)

• MCTS (on Windows Server 2008, Active Directory)

• ITIL v3 Foundations

• Master’s in Telecommunication Engineering

Dont know why this site created two lines per cert and the table border, but you should get the idea.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have incorporated the changes into my current resume. I will post an updated one once I receive additional feedback if anyone notices anything off in the resume.

Edit to add: Also, should I leave it as MCITP:SA or change to the newer MCSA: 2008? I think MCSA has more visibility but not really certain.
    Okay, i've added some additional information that in my haste to get a draft going, I left out. I have also incorporated the suggested changes. There are some minor formatting issues as identifying information has been removed, these formatting issues do not exist in the actual copy of the resume. Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ok here's some more critique.

1. Instead of Professional IT technician, put in :

Skilled IT professional with 6 years of network, server, security and desktop support ....

Putting it this way gives the reader the idea that this guy is much more than just an IT technician. No disrespect to the PC technicians, but I'm sure you want to rise in your career - so come across as much more than a technician.

This may be a subtle thing, but a few instances as this one and you'll change how the reader thinks of you. Hope you get the idea.

2. Your first section should be Education/Certifications. IMO, certifications arent really education - they are more professional development. Not really academia. Any way, IMO this section should be Edu/Cert . Did you try putting your certs in the manner I suggested? If you havent, give it a chance and I reckon you'll find it looks better. I tried it at my end and to me the resume looked better, more professional. Get the drift?

3. You have decent experience, are you able to highlight some achievements at your various roles? It just draws the eye to the more significant stuff you've done. You can teach anyone to create user accounts in AD but not everyone can virtualize existing client environments. What benefits did the client get out of it? Lower power consumption, rack space freed up, consolidation, savings in dollar terms? HR like to see numbers!

Hope this helps!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't like the summary, reads like your a desktop support type but the exp reads as an engineer. Seperate education and certs and list to make it easier to read.
    I have redone the summary and separated education and certifications into their own sections. I'm trying to think of some nice bullet points like you suggested Essendon to highlight specific accomplishments. What i'm kind of shooting for is a managed security services job, preferably something involved in policy and best-practice adaptation for organizations. Not certain I can land a job doing that kind of thing just yet, as I really only have the bare minimum of policy development, firewall management, and access control management under my belt right now.

Luckily I have a pretty solid job right now that does treat me right, so I do have plenty of time to fine tune the resume. I also have the luxury of being picky about the job, salary, and location. A whole lot different than "oh crap I need a job asap or i'm gonna starve!" situations i've been in previously.

Thanks a ton to everyone for the feedback, would really like to hear more if anyone has it!