Options

Packet Tracer 6

spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was navigating the labyrinth of the Cisco Netacad website and saw the mention of a Packet Tracer 6 Beta. Having messed around with Packet Tracer betas before, I didn't want to waste my time. But my curiosity of what new features would be included in the next update of my favorite network simulator.

And it looks like students will get the ISR2 1941, 2901 and 2911 along with IOS 15. IPv6 enhancements (desktop configuration, IPV6 over V4 tunnels and CBACv6), HSRP, some other hardware related improvements (like simulating a console server, servers with 2 NICs and others) and finally some bugs.

What we don't get are switches like 3750, Nexus or 6500. We don't get ASAs.

But hopefully, it'll provide more supported commands to align with CCNA.

I fear that IOU will probably become the emulator of choice since GNS3 doesn't support IOS 15 except for 7200, but who knows, maybe they'll add the new routers via qemu.

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GNS3 is popular, popular software.

Although, im not sure how it's being supported. If it's supported by someone that already attained their cert goal / teaching aid / random student / project... I hope support gets added, and the like. Im sure it will. But given the free nature, It may be some time.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    It is very popular and useful. Still relevant for a good portion of Cisco certifications. But things could change if they revise CCIE and it being based on IOS 15. If, big If it were to happen then many would need IOU, which is only legally available through the labs offered through Cisco learning (CCNA, Route, MPLS, BGP) or ISR 1 and newer.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How much time does one need to dig into the Netacad to find this pt6 beta, I am logged in now but do not see it. Could you point the way?
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    i would like to see sdm support added since it is still mentioned in the latest videos i have, as well as CCNA Sec studies.
  • Options
    Well, SDM support has depreciated in favor of CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional), ASDM, etc. INS 554 doesn't have SDM in the material anymore. I'm sure whenever they finally decided to do a "real" update to CCNA, they'll update that to reflect it also.

You can't download the Beta from the normal Netacad site. Take this with a grain of salt, you might have to obtain it via Conference attendance or this new community they have (which I don't have access to).

But like I said, I used the beta for 5.3, 5.2 (again both offered for attending the Netacad Conferences), and I didn't care for the glitchiness or the constant reminders of how the software wouldn't be useable in a certain period of time.

Here's a video from a Spanish user that shows how it looks:

Cisco Packet Tracer 6 Beta Version Quick Overview (spanish) - YouTube
  • Options
    Okay folks, I've actually been able to play around with the beta for Packet Tracer 6 (and no, due to the agreement I signed for the beta program, I can't just give it out).

The UI is pretty much the same. There are a few more options in the file menu (save as a common cartridge), options allows you to view the command log and there are few more options in extensions.

On the right Viewport, there's a icon for creating shapes like rectangles, polygons, ellipses and lines.

As far as actual devices, as mentioned before there are 1941, 2901 and 2911 ISR2 routers. There are still a few 2600 platform routers in the program and the switches are the same unfortunately. It would be nice to have 3560-X, 3750-X, 4500E or a Nexus. There aren't firewalls like ASA, ASA-X (notice Cisco's X fascination) or Pix, which means you'll have to seek out GNS3 or actual ASAs for CCNA Security.

Unfortunately, I haven't really had a chance to really play around and build topologies or test out unsupported commands from older versions; however, if you have any questions or things you'd like for me to try out, I'm all ears. Just keep in mind this is still a beta product, with the final not coming out for some time.
  • Options
    If you're interested, want to try it out and help in the testing, go to:

Choose Your Sign-In

It requires a netacad or net space account.
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I logged in, couldn't find it anywhere. I looked on the Learning Network, couldn't find anything there either. No mention of it in the discussions.
  • Options
    Did you follow my link? I just used it and was taken to the PT6 Beta page. I'll probably post some screen shots on Sunday or Monday.

It's a beta and not openly discussed anywhere really. The only mention I saw of it was a post in the packet tracer forums.
  • Options
    Did you follow my link? I just used it and was taken to the PT6 Beta page.

Yes, I did, it takes me here -
  • Options
    I used the left option, logged in with my profile then requested access to the beta program.
  • Options
    Yea...tried that, still no good. I'm an Alumni with Netacad, wonder if that is the issue. I don't see anything there for PT6 Beta.
    Oh well... thanx, I'll wait for it to be released officially.
  • Options
    langlois66998langlois66998 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Packet Tracer 6.1 has been released a few days ago and this new version includes a new ASA 5505 firewall !! icon_wink.gif)

The complete list of the new features can be found on What's new in PT 6.1 and an SSL vpn ASA lab on Lab 16 - Clientless SSL VPN (WebVPN) with ASA 5505

There is also a new DHCP snooping feature but I haven't tested it yet.