Are systems analysts in demand?

davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am in my final year of college and want to get a job in systems analysis when I graduate. I want to work primarily on developing web applications and systems.

It seems that I do not see as many listings for analysts as there are for programmers and developers. I know these positions are not mutually exclusive but I want to work more on the requirements gathering and analysis than the actual programming.

So will be systems analyst be in high demand over the next 10 years?

Would a business case study class be beneficial for a systems analyst?

Would networking skills be of any use for systems analysis or would I be better off learning stick with developing classes?

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    davidboy wrote: »

So will be systems analyst be in high demand over the next 10 years?

Yes, and it is in high demand now as well.

Would a business case study class be beneficial for a systems analyst?

Yes, it's a good idea to take business classes.

Would networking skills be of any use for systems analysis or would I be better off learning stick with developing classes?

Honestly, it's not very useful. Web development is your priority. Basic networking knowledge is important for anyone in IT, but you need a class for this.

Start working as a web developer first. After years of experience, you can move to Systems Analyst role, or business analyst. For the time being, focus on web development.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with Unix

A close friend of mine is a system analyst.

Some technologies and skills he uses a lot of:
    • UML
    • Web Logic
    • SQL
    • Prioritary systems and hardware (He is in the power grid industry)
    Like Unix mentioned start with development if at all possible. My friend started developing VB and Java. Then transitioned into Project Management and is now a BA/SA.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The nature of what a Business and Systems Analyst will likely be a role which will be in demand for the foreseeable future.

In my experience however, the demand is specific to the industry sector which consumes technology. While the technology skillsets that @N2IT and @UnixGuy are important, what probably would be more important is the domain knowledge and expertise of the Business or Systems Analyst.

For example, the experience and knowledge of a Systems Analyst that supported the healthcare industry is not likely to be very transferable to the same role in a financial service company. Hope that makes sense.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Imma hijack this thread (so I dont have to make a new one)

How about a Network Analyst?
    What you guys recommend for it?
    Im thinking a network Analyst is more "familiar" if you want to pursue a Network Forensic career
    After CCNA, what steps would you guys recommend for a Network Analyst?
    meh