Options

what to put on my resume.. Help!!

sdeyoungsdeyoung Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just wondering if anyone out there could give me a hand on what to put on my resume for skills. I have my A+ and Network+ and would like to add that info without going on and on and making my resume to long.. I have someone building my resume for me now, just not to sure if they would know what to put there for those skills.. Also, is it a good idea to add logos like the Comptia ones? The person who's doing my resume said that general rule of thumb is to not put logos..

Comments

• Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Certifications: CompTIA's A+, Network+.

Education: Pursuing bla bla bla

Work Experience: Training involved knowledge and troubleshooting of Windows OS, drivers, motherboards, nics, video cards, bla bla bla

If you havent worked before...
    What next?
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    I never put logos on my resume, but it really depends on what the HR person thinks. Some might think it looks professional, but others might think it looks tacky. However, I can't imagine anyone thinking negatively of someone who lists their certifications in plain text.

I simply have a section for "Certifications" listed below "Education" and "Work Experience." I also have a seperate section of "Computer skills" that lists programming languages and other software packages that I am well versed in.
  • Options
    So I shouldn't really go into detail about what the Network+ or A+ certification covers? Also, just curious. What I do now at my position involves repairing PCs, basic networking with win98 and xp machines and all that jazz.. Would that be considered a Networking admin or just a Desktop support position? We don't really have a name for it because I kinda do two jobs where i'm at. I'm the Warehouse Manager and the IT support guy as they would call it.. But I do get paid for my services so as far as i'm conserned it's experience and I should add it to my resume. Am I right or wrong?
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    sdeyoung wrote:
    So I shouldn't really go into detail about what the Network+ or A+ certification covers?

I never go that far on my resume. Most IT companies know what A+ is, and many are familiar with Net+ by now. Both tests cover a lot of material and you're bound to leave out an area or two, and the employer may perceive you as "lacking" in that area or something. If you still want to explain those certifications, I'd do it in your cover letter (if you write one up).

Also, just curious. What I do now at my position involves repairing PCs, basic networking with win98 and xp machines and all that jazz.. Would that be considered a Networking admin or just a Desktop support position? We don't really have a name for it because I kinda do two jobs where i'm at. I'm the Warehouse Manager and the IT support guy as they would call it.. But I do get paid for my services so as far as i'm conserned it's experience and I should add it to my resume. Am I right or wrong?

It's hard to say, but it sounds more like "desktop support" to me. If you've done extensive administration of your network (setting up active directory trees, configuring routers/witches and that type of thing, then you could probably put that down.
  • Options
    It's hard to say, but it sounds more like "desktop support" to me. If you've done extensive administration of your network (setting up active directory trees, configuring routers/witches and that type of thing, then you could probably put that down.

Well, it's a star topo lan connected to a hub, then connected through a router to connect us to the internet, about 12 PCs all together.. I've done all of the configuring myself, which really isn't that hard.. But I thought it would be worth mentioning.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you really want to elaborate on the certifications, save it for the interview. It could make for a good conversation and also give you a chance to demonstrate your knowledge of the subject matter.
  • Options
    pipearcepipearce Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello

I find the trick with resumes is keeping them short and at the same time including as much job relevant information as possible. You need to list experiences, skills and education in a way that it answers the requirements on the job posting.

Also, don't forget to use a cover letter. This gives you another way of answering those requirements. Sdeyoung...the cover letter would be a perfect place to expand on the configuring of your company's network.

Cheers, Paul
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    definitely keep it direct and to the point.. as far as using logos i use them keeps the line searching for cert easy icon_lol.gif if all they are concerned with is the cert
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was job hunting I put my cert logos across the top of my resume with the hopes it would make it stand out in the pile of papers on some HR manager's desk. I did get hired so I guess I can say it didn't hurt.