Options

CCNA Home Lab

Cisco LifeCisco Life Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All I have a few questions regarding CCNA home lab

this is what I've got so far;

2 x 2950 Switches SI
3 x 1721 Routers 128 MB DRAM / 32 MB Flash and two of them have a WIC 1T each and one has two WIC 1T modules

2 x DCE DTE Back to Back Cables
5 x Cisco console cables with USB to Serial adapters

now I can get a fourth Router 1721 with same configuration with WIC 1T for $30 and three more 2950 SI switches for $10 - $15 each

So should I go for the fourth router if so how many WIC 1T and DCE DTE Cables should I have altogether? I can get a WIC 1T for $5 and also should I get them three switches as well?

Is there any benefit having more than what I already have?

Finally how many crossover Ethernet and straight through Ethernet cables should I get?

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Options
    neoteslaneotesla Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not sure about routers and switches (though I'd guess what you have is enough), but for the final question - it's saves money to make your own Eth. cables.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Personally I would buy a 3rd switch for spanning tree.

3 routers is enough (as you can learn routing protocols) and you're not really going to benefit from a 4th. If you buy a 4th make it like a 2600 series so you can buy a module card with 4 or 8 serial ports and then use it as a frame relay switch.

As for the cables, you should be able to figure out how many you need based on whatever topologies you will be creating.
    I have 4 switches so I have 4 cross overs, got I think 5 normal ones though only use a couple and 3 DCE/DTE cables.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    Cisco LifeCisco Life Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll look into making my own cables. I have three 2611 routers but they only have 32MB DRAM and 16MB FLASH so I don't think there's any point getting a NM-8A/S for one of them or is it worth it? I know they can be upgraded to 64MB DRAM

btw I thought having a 4th router is enough to have a frame relay

Three_router_cisco.jpg

Hardware Requirement:
    • 1 Router with 2 Serials
    • 2 Router with 1 Serial
    • 2 DTE/DCE Serial Cables

Or is two completely two different concepts? Frame Relay and Frame Relay Switch
    Thanks for your help