Options

New Guy... Hello World

Bill3rdshiftBill3rdshift Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi my name is Bill... I stumbled on this page looking for some industry info and I ended up spending hours that night in the forums. I love this community!! So many of my certification/career planning questions are asked and answered here :) A little about me.. I have been around networking for a few years now. I worked for a cable provider for 3 years (service tech), then an ISP for 2 years and now work for a network services company where we do a bit of everything. General Telecom Home Page I am taking night classes towards IT security A.S. degree. I have 3 of 4 classes done towards CCNA and I will be taking Security + in 6 weeks (the class is a breeze). I have my own Cisco lab that I enjoy practicing on. Long term goal is to achieve CCNP along with A.S. degree and supporting certs. Much respect to all.
Reading: Incident Response & Disaster Recovery, Server 2008r2 Administration, IT Security Interviews Exposed
Telecom Info Page: http://telecom.tbi.net
LAB.jpg 53.7K

Comments

• Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    welcome to TE! nice little home lab you got going now.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome along. I'm sure you'll find this place a great resource for your studies.
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Welcome to the forums Bill. I saw you worked for a cable provider, I just recently put in an application at cable provider for an installer position. Do you have any advice for me if I get called for an interview? Thanks
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    Welcome to the forums Bill. I saw you worked for a cable provider, I just recently put in an application at cable provider for an installer position. Do you have any advice for me if I get called for an interview? Thanks

I would recommend reading the companies job listing for installer/technician and learning the technology/terms. This is the best recommendation I can give you because if you can speak their language it will put you ahead of the heard IMO.

For example understand how the HFC network works (hybrid fiber coax) with knowledge of nodes, amplifiers, line extenders, etc. Some terms to know:

Attenuation - Loss of signal over distance. RG-6 per 100 feet losses 1.5dbmv @ 55mhz and apx. 5dbmv @ 500mhz where as RG-11 per 100ft losses 1dbmv @ 55mhz and only 3dbmv @ 500mhz ** very important to an installer ** They want you to quickly look at distance from the pole to the house block and know e.g. if I start with 20dbmv @ tap and have 100ft drop then I will end up with around 15dbmv at wall block for modem downstream channel (say 675mhz).

Traps - blocks frequencies (services) aka "Filters" e.g. if a customer only paid for internet a trap would block TV freqz
    Leakage Detector - Sounds an alarm when freqz (egress) are picked up. Good for finding cut coax underground.
    Volt/ohm meter - obvious, but used a lot with twisted pair (voice troubleshooting)
    TDR - time domain reflectometry is a tool that tells you where the cut in you cable is
    SLM - signal level meter measures coax signal levels in DBmV (decibel millivolts)
    DMARC - Box on side of the house where POTS lines/twisted pair phone lines are grounded

** Stress the fact that you are good at Time Management, Paperwork (don't worry there is not much), Customer Relations, Teamwork (very important) and don't mind working late!

Know the TV technologies i.e. LCD, Plasma, DLP, CRTV, etc. know about HDMI, DVI, Component, RCA, etc. know RJ-45, RJ-11, RJ31x (alarm jack used for line seizure).

Do you have an understanding on how a house is cabled? Ex: coax starts at the tap then travels to the house via air/ground, then gets grounded right away at the house block, then is divided by splitters depending on the configuration. A modem will be on a separate leg often separated by a directional coupler. House wiring with coax is all about signal managing i.e. you want to end up with +5 to -5dbmv on modem, well if you start with 15dbmv @ house block what are you going to use to knock the signal down to correct levels (which splitter to use).

Knowing twisted pair is crucial. I've seen so many mistakes made in the field with alarm system, dual phone line issues, static, cross-talk, etc etc. It is really simple stuff if you take the correct approach.

The "installer" position is a very physical job. You will be running your ASS off. Lifting, crawling, climbing, pulling, drilling, etc. You're more or less an attic rat (hopefully it isn't hot where you live). Installers do make decent money (usually paid per job). I would recommend trying to advance to a Service Tech asap though (more troubleshooting).

Have you done any wiring before? Wall fishes, outlets, drops, etc. (if not don't worry)

If you have anymore questions shoot me PM and I will give you my email. I would be happy to help you some more.
    Reading: Incident Response & Disaster Recovery, Server 2008r2 Administration, IT Security Interviews Exposed
  • Options

I would recommend reading the companies job listing for installer/technician and learning the technology/terms. This is the best recommendation I can give you because if you can speak their language it will put you ahead of the heard IMO.

For example understand how the HFC network works (hybrid fiber coax) with knowledge of nodes, amplifiers, line extenders, etc. Some terms to know:

Attenuation - Loss of signal over distance. RG-6 per 100 feet losses 1.5dbmv @ 55mhz and apx. 5dbmv @ 500mhz where as RG-11 per 100ft losses 1dbmv @ 55mhz and only 3dbmv @ 500mhz ** very important to an installer ** They want you to quickly look at distance from the pole to the house block and know e.g. if I start with 20dbmv @ tap and have 100ft drop then I will end up with around 15dbmv at wall block for modem downstream channel (say 675mhz).

Traps - blocks frequencies (services) aka "Filters" e.g. if a customer only paid for internet a trap would block TV freqz
    Leakage Detector - Sounds an alarm when freqz (egress) are picked up. Good for finding cut coax underground.
    Volt/ohm meter - obvious, but used a lot with twisted pair (voice troubleshooting)
    TDR - time domain reflectometry is a tool that tells you where the cut in you cable is
    SLM - signal level meter measures coax signal levels in DBmV (decibel millivolts)
    DMARC - Box on side of the house where POTS lines/twisted pair phone lines are grounded

** Stress the fact that you are good at Time Management, Paperwork (don't worry there is not much), Customer Relations, Teamwork (very important) and don't mind working late!

Know the TV technologies i.e. LCD, Plasma, DLP, CRTV, etc. know about HDMI, DVI, Component, RCA, etc. know RJ-45, RJ-11, RJ31x (alarm jack used for line seizure).

Do you have an understanding on how a house is cabled? Ex: coax starts at the tap then travels to the house via air/ground, then gets grounded right away at the house block, then is divided by splitters depending on the configuration. A modem will be on a separate leg often separated by a directional coupler. House wiring with coax is all about signal managing i.e. you want to end up with +5 to -5dbmv on modem, well if you start with 15dbmv @ house block what are you going to use to knock the signal down to correct levels (which splitter).

Knowing twisted pair is crucial. I've seen so many mistakes made in the field with alarm system, dual phone line issues, static, cross-talk, etc etc. It is really simple stuff if you take the correct approach.

The "installer" position is a very physical job. You will be running your ASS off. Lifting, crawling, climbing, pulling, drilling, etc. You're more or less a attic rat. Hopefully it isn't hot where you live. Installers do make decent money (usually paid per job). I would recommend trying to advance to a Service Tech asap though (more troubleshooting).

Have you done any wiring before? Wall fishes, outlets, drops, etc. (if not don't worry)

If you have anymore questions shoot me PM and I will give you my email. I would be happy to help you some more.
  • Options
    OmynOmyn Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums and good luck on your upcoming Security+ exam. I'll be taking mine fairly soon too. :)
  • Options

Do you have an understanding on how a house is cabled? Ex: coax starts at the tap then travels to the house via air/ground, then gets grounded right away at the house block, then is divided by splitters depending on the configuration. A modem will be on a separate leg often separated by a directional coupler. House wiring with coax is all about signal managing i.e. you want to end up with +5 to -5dbmv on modem, well if you start with 15dbmv @ house block what are you going to use to knock the signal down to correct levels (which splitter).

The "installer" position is a very physical job. You will be running your ASS off. Lifting, crawling, climbing, pulling, drilling, etc. You're more or less a attic rat. Hopefully it isn't hot where you live. Installers do make decent money (usually paid per job). I would recommend trying to advance to a Service Tech asap though (more troubleshooting).

Thanks for the information Bill. I've been doing electrical work little over a year now, I also have some experience with home audio/tv systems.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TE! :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the information Bill. I've been doing electrical work little over a year now, I also have some experience with home audio/tv systems.

Oh great!! You should have no problem getting an installer position. Actually you would be a better fit for something along the technician level. GoodLuck!!
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE!!
  • Options
    Oh great!! You should have no problem getting an installer position. Actually you would be a better fit for something along the technician level. GoodLuck!!

The position is installer/technician.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Welcome bill. I see what ya did there with your thread title icon_thumright.gif