Linux Weird Issues

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Hey guys,

I have BT r3 installed on my Asus 1005HA netbook. The problem is whenever I turn on my netbook, it creates a bunch of "<" signs on boot up (See screenshot). And when the touchpad is working, and typing something on the terminal, I can't use the right Shift key with a / key to make a ? sign. I have to use the left Shift key instead. The right Shift is working just fine with other keys, but not with / key. If I leave the terminal idle for a few minutes, it will suddenly type in a bunch of "<" sign similar when its booting up.

Also, the touchpad most of the time is not responding after I logged in with startx command. It was working fine before, but not recently. A USB mouse works, though. I had to reboot the computer several times to get the touch pad working.

Has anyone have encountered issues like these with Linux especially in Backtrack?
I use Linux from time to time, but still a noob.

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
bt.jpg 101.9K

Comments

• thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    This is really weird.
    It seems like all the issues has been temporarily fixed (except for the right Shift key) when I pressed the tab key at BIOS POST.
    I rebooted my netbook and did not press the tab key during POST then the issue came back, wth.

I am totally lost. Why do I need to press the tab key at POST just to make my touchpad work and get rid of those "<" signs.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Weird...probably not going to fix it but upgrade to BT5r2
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
    Sorry I forgot to mentioned the BT version that I have is 5.
    This issue started a week ago with BT5r2. But I didn't bother because I thought it was a software glitch then it occurred frequently everytime I power on the laptop. So I decided to install BT5r3 yesterday thinking it may fix the issue, but it still doing it. So far that only fix that I have is by pressing the tab key during BIOS POST.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    did it do the same when you booted from usb before install?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    No, when I booted from usb, I did not get any problem.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    have ya tried the "fix-splash" command after log in??

backtrack 4 boot splash fix for dummies - YouTube
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    I don't have the dragon splash whenever I boot the laptop. The splash that I have is Ubuntu 10.10. The fix-splash never works.
    Is the boot splash screen related to the touchpad not working and "<" sign when booting?
    Studying:
    Reading: