Options

video card problem??

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I got home from over seas to find out that my machine didn't turn on. When it did turn on, the PSU had a little spark with a fire. After replacing the PSU and reloading windows everything worked until....

I started to get blocks for graphics. If you played Nintendo (NES) and you put the game in and turned it in to find out that there were "blocks" for the graphics.. thats what I'm seeing once in a while.

Everything looked fine when I checked out the board. I don't see any burns or anything on the main board and the graphics card. Could it be possible that the video card is going bad? Or something else? I have a 7950oc gt from 2007.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    It sounds like maybe the some the circuits on the video were shorted when the psu sparked. Possibly the damage is not visible by the naked eye. Just my two cents.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    I'd go with that. Video cards like that draw up enormous power when starting so they are likely to get zapped if there's a PSU problem.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Also, even replacing it with an old 8800GT would warrant major performance increases.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    I always wanted to get the 9800 gtx cards but I can't find them anymore. I did find a replacement (under 300) that I could also use the GPU to help crack passwords.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Because they are old! :) 7000s > 8000s > 9000s > 100s > 200s > 300s > 400s > 500s > 600s

Several of these are just re-branded. Like the 8000s and 9000s.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    I brought a GeForce 610 today. It's a temp replacement card for a few months.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    OmynOmyn Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had the same result with my ATI video card several month ago, just without the dramatic outro of flames. :)

It was an XFX ATI 5770 HD. I sold it as is on ebay. I contacted the guy to see if he was experiencing the same issues and he confirmed that it was the video card. He was using it for bitcoining though so the monitor was disconnected anyway. He said it had amazing performance so I guess the artifacts was the only issue.