Options

starting out on ccent

FaolchuFaolchu Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
guys I'm starting out on teh ccent can anyone recommend any books for self study? also what hardware should i look at getting? I can get my hands on 2 800 routers and i have a 2600 router as well.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Faolchu wrote: »
    guys I'm starting out on teh ccent can anyone recommend any books for self study? also what hardware should i look at getting? I can get my hands on 2 800 routers and i have a 2600 router as well.
    For switches, 2950s are the best buy, although you can learn from many models.

A word of caution:

Don't go the "hardware-only" route unless you can afford enough hardware to cover the exam objectives. Actual hardware isn't needed to master the objectives; hands-on practice is.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hardware is great. I recommend this route. However, it can be very expensive. It's an investment and for some, a gamble. It's up to you, do you want to go further than just CCENT or CCNA? Do you have access at work, or other places?

If you're just going into CCENT, and don't want to do anything further use a simulator to get the job done. They're usually more focused and much less painful to use. Boson, for example includes labs for you to do and you can grind away at the labs that are just meant to teach you a couple commands.

You can also rent lab time, if you want to the feeling of hardware without physical hardware.

If you actually want to do this more often, investing in a lab would be a wonderful idea. I have a single 3550. I can tell you already, there's nothing like having the real thing.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    If you do a quick search you'll find that Wendell Odom (ciscopress) and Todd Lammle (sybex) guides are the norm.

As far as basic/cheap switches/routers you can't go wrong with 2950 and 2600 series (or even 2500 series, but I would avoid those).
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    For icnd 1, I recommend u lamme books and train signal videos. For lab, for the icnd 1, and most part of 2, pocket tracer will be enough. But for starter lab 2x 2600 series router and 1x 2950 switch would be nice. For more adwance setup, add one more router and switch.

I started 2 months ago to my icnd1 and I am done with study part. Now I am gonna focus on lab week or 2. And u can do almost anything on poxket trracer. But sometimes, some commqnds are not supported. So I found a free online remote lab I work. I will post the link when I get back home.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Good luck on your journey! Get Lammle and Cisco Press Odoms ccna books. Also, get packet tracer for your ccna. Then get real equipment for your ccnp and you're good!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I second Lammle and Odom. Just got down with Lammle, and working on Odom now. I also purchased Boson CCENT NetSIM and ExamSIM. (When I say I purchased, I mean my company purchased for me). So if you can afford Boson I would go with that, no need for physical equipment until ICND2 and above IMO.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The material I used was from Rene Mollenaar, Steve Bowler, Chris Bryant, CBT Nuggets, router alley guide and maybe worth checking out Keith Barker and Jeffrey Cheung youtube vids. They are great because you learn so much more from them and they clearly have more experience than some others out there.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.