Options

Noobie!!begging for guidance!!!

iMaveniMaven Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I've decided to get into networking and I have been studying for the CCNA exam. I have no prior experience with networking other than hooking up a few routers at home and playing with it on my own time. I would like some feed back on what you would do if you were me, how I should go about studying for the exam, and anything else that'll help me through my baby steps into networking. I am super hungry and ready to learn!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    First advice I'd give is using a more informative title when starting a thread. ;)

As far as your career, you need to find a way to get experience. Experience is by far the most important factor in the networking field. Also understand that you may not be able to even find anything purely networking at the beginning. You may need to start in help desk or end user support etc. Your best places to look are NOCs to get into a pure networking role off the bat.

You didn't mention, do you have any education to go along with the CCNA?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    What networker said, also get a lab simulator such as cisco packet tracer or go out buy used physical equipment. Maybe check out this book: Networking All-In-One for Dummies, Lowe, Doug: Computing & Internet : Walmart.com
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    I do not have any education in networking other than reading the Cisco self-study guide of ICND1. I also have a friend who has his CCIE and he's mentoring me to get my CCNA. Where would be a good place to learn hands-on for someone like me with no experience? I know I need to think baby steps, but I want to get familar with routers and switches already lol.
  • Options
    I agree with you NetworkV. I'm willing to pay my dues and get it in. Just like what you wrote in your "currently studying". I want to study anything and everything. But I know I got to complete one cert. at a time. Computer g33k: Its funny cause I just borrowed the Networking All-In-One for Dummies at my local library. Where can I download Cisco packet tracer?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Packet Tracer is available free to those who take Cisco Network Academy courses.

The only place to get experience is to find a job. Not to deter you, but without a formal education or experience you are facing a very tough road even if you get plenty of certs.

A couple suggestions are to look into the military (this is where I got my start) or a degree that can help you get in on internships to get your foot in the door.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have a friend who has a CCIE, see if you can work with him; even if it's dragging cables or getting him coffee.