Options

Really Horrible Interview

New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All, I graduated recently with a Bachelors of Arts in Information Technology Management. Most of coursework was in programming and software development. I also interned for 6 months working with the Database Administrator and I assisted her in software development projects. I had an interview for a position as a Programmer, but I got stuck and there 6 questions and I could only answer 3 of the six. I felt so embarassed and the interviewers looked even more embarrased for me. The questions were so simple too, but I just couldn't remember. Here are 2 of the 3 I couldn't answer.

1) How do you authenticate a SQL Syntax Server?
2) How do you join SQL tables?

I feel SO STUPID because I learned all this school and I also joined tables as an intern, but my mind went blank. Needless to say they never called me back. How can I do better in interviews. I know I need to study harder, but my mind always goes blank because I get really nervous and I blurt, "I don't know." Please Help.. It looks as if I won't have a future in I.T. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Prior to your interview, brush up on your basics and then do a google search for common interview questions for the position you're interviewing for. Study those common interview questions and the basics for a few days prior to your interview - that should help to cover your bases.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    First off, calm down. It'll be ok, dont beat yourself up over this. I'm sure everyone here will agree with me that we've all had horrible interviews! The last technical interview I did was similar to your account. They grilled me on network, servers and virtualization questions for 45 minutes. A third of the questions I answered correctly, a third I answered incorrectly, and the last third I didnt know. I was actually still offered the position based SOLELY off of the fact that I sold them on my attitude and willingness to learn. A very wise person once told me that you can teach technical knowledge to anyone, but you cant teach attitude and people skills to everyone.

Chalk this up as a learning experience. Try not to be so nervous. Think of these interviews as just a couple of people talking about technology. Dont be afraid to admit you dont know something. If dont know something, follow up with "I'd really welcome the opportunity to learn this" or something similar. And remember: Why do we fall? To pick ourselves up again! Now brush yourself off and get up and go back out there! icon_cheers.gif
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with ChickenNuggetz. You are not going to be great at every interview and you are not going to get offered every job. As long as you learn something and can apply it, then you have gained something and the time was worthwhile. Don't always overlook the small steps. You obviously looked good enough to get an interview. The interview skills themselves can always be improved.

One thing I do before an interview is to have a conversation with myself from the interviewer's perspective. I would go through my resume and ask basic questions, then dig in on my own responses. This helps me to think about wording on responses ahead of time and may even give the opportunity to direct the conversation with your responses.
    Why do we fall? To pick ourselves up again! icon_cheers.gif
    Great response Mr. Wayne! icon_thumright.gif
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your feedback! It's definitely what I needed right now. I was on the verge of going back to school and taking accounting courses, but I love programming and I would prefer to stay in I.T. I'm taking my Oracle SQL book and reading it from front to back so I can brush up on SQL :D
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for your feedback! It's definitely what I needed right now. I was on the verge of going back to school and taking accounting courses, but I love programming and I would prefer to stay in I.T. I'm taking my Oracle SQL book and reading it from front to back so I can brush up on SQL :D

I would consider another approach

I would model your data like you were going to build a database for XYZ company.

Business model the data and then convert it into relationships and so it makes sense in SQL. Build your environment and join the tables as need. If you are comfortable build everything all at once.

Then populate with data prior or during and then run your queries on the data. IMO that will give you the start to finish experience you will need. Of course there are other elements to consider but I would work on a plan like that.

Reading isn't bad either :)
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    You can always practice your interview skills as well. Just have a friend do some role playing with you.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Question 1. I don't know what a SQL Syntax Server is. But you can authenticate to SQL server using Windows Authentication, SQL Server authentication or mixed mode (using both).

You don't typically authenticate in SQL code (in my experience) because the authenticaiton happens before the server will accept your SQL code in the first place. When I connect in C# I use a connection string and pass it to the SqlConnection object. In SQL code if I need to connect to another SQL server I make them linked servers in SSMS.

Now if the question is how do you validate SQL Server syntax? Well, you can read it how you get it or you can simply past it into SSMS and read it there. The color coding will tell you what you need as will the underlines. You can also make SSMS parse the query for you.

Question 2. Don't sweat it, you just need more practice. When you have a lot of experience performing operations like joins you will be able to answer the question without even thinking. Not just because you know what a join is or how it works or could join two tables if you could look at them, but because you know it so well it's second nature. This doesn't mean you are dumb or anything else negative - think of it as a free way to find out what you need to study. You just need to keep practicing until its second nature. Download adventureworks2008 and go to town.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    OmynOmyn Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't let it get you down too much. There will be plenty of other opportunities to prove yourself. Consider it a learning experience. :)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Don't stress out too much about it. We all have our moments. Just get back to interviewing and study up on the materials that are relevant to the position you are interviewing for. Good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Own the material. Own the knowledge.

The key is to be the teacher, and to set a goal to be the guy sitting in the seat asking questions. Be bold and gather courage.

Through understanding technology and studying to be the teacher, you will start to connect the dots. Things will start to sink.

When I started in IT, I was listening to really smart people discuss solutions, and I thought there wouldn't be any way to know what they know. To really know that much information. But I kept pushing to be the teacher. To be who they were. And through that motivation plus a lot of hard work, I feel like I reached it.

Know it won't come easy or quick. But your self determination will lead you if you let it.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If that was the exact question, then I would have missed #1 too. I deal with databases everyday and I have no idea what a "SQL Syntax Server" is.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    What others have said, don't be discouraged! =)

Another thing is, sometimes interviewers don't expect you to answer everything 100% correct.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/81294-networking-jobs-isps.html

The interviewer said that if he answered all questions correctly, he would have been overqualified.

=p so yea~

anyway, brush up and go in there guns blazing next time =) i'm sure you'll nail next one!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We aren't defined by our faults. I feel that we are better defined by how we recover. Take this as a learning lesson, strap up and get right back out there. Our field has too many opportunities available to worry much over one interview. Just study what didn't come to you easily so next time it does.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Worst interview I had, and I still got the job. It isn't just about your answers but about how you gave them and what you said if you didn't know. Not sure about programming but on the other side someone with a good core of knowledge can be taught how the comapny wants things done.

CHeer up, if you don't get it something better will come along.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the end, always learn something from your interviews: good or bad. And when they are done, think of it like an after action report. What did you do that you should have, what did you do that you should not have and what should you brush up on.

I do this still, and I bet most people do.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    The companies I've interviewed with fell into two categories 1) Those who wanted to know how quickly I could perform the work 2) Those that were concerned about how I fit into the company and if I could learn to do the work over a period of time. In the overworked, task oriented culture, they needed things done. In the second case, they had a function that needed to be performed but the primary concern was finding someone dependable and whom fit the company image.

Interviews can help you organize your thoughts and give you perspective. You can't be everything to everyone. Know the skills you claim to have well, but don't forget that decisions are made based on personality, directness, and appearance, too.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    The companies I've interviewed with fell into two categories 1) Those who wanted to know how quickly I could perform the work 2) Those that were concerned about how I fit into the company and if I could learn to do the work over a period of time.

Great great post =)

I think it makes good sense. Too bad I can't just say, "I want to work for a company that cares... etc" and pick #2... Much more complicated when you are weighing in your decision =p
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    mapletune wrote: »
    Great great post =)

I think it makes good sense. Too bad I can't just say, "I want to work for a company that cares... etc" and pick #2... Much more complicated when you are weighing in your decision =p

Great posts to both. Unfortunately I work for company #1. And I have to tell you it's no fun. Even when a potential customer was able to easily spot a mistake someone made because they were in to much of a hurry they still haven't learned they should have people slow down.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD