Options

How hard is A+

BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
I'll be taking the A+ in some months, and I want to know how hard is it really and what are some of the books/online tutorials that you used to help you pass?

Comments

• Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    Mike Myers is considered the best A+ book. I just read the book and took COMP TIA A+ practice test and passed the exam. it took me like 2-3 weeks to finish the book and pass the exams. But i barely passed. Cus i just read it thoroughly. If you read the book and takes note, you will pass it easy peasy.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    TurK-FX wrote: »
    Mike Myers is considered the best A+ book. I just read the book and took COMP TIA A+ practice test and passed the exam. it took me like 2-3 weeks to finish the book and pass the exams. But i barely passed. Cus i just read it thoroughly. If you read the book and takes note, you will pass it easy peasy.

Is this book free?
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I highly recommend Mike Meyer's books, James Conrad (CBT Nuggets) and Professor Messer video series. At the time when I was studying for my A+ I thought it was difficult but I think my main obstacle was that it was the first major exam I had to study for in many years so getting into a groove took time. Much of the material is all about memorizing stuff. You do still need to practice especially command line stuff and maybe even have a play with xp, vista,7.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    OmynOmyn Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Most of the stuff that I found tough was memorization. Other than that, it isn't too bad. Professor Messer and the ExamCram book was more than enough for me to pass the test.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All depends on your experience, Someone like myself can pass it with little or no studying. but I have been in IT for a long time. there are some good free youtube resources Professor Messer - YouTube
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As hard as you want to make it. If your familiar with PC repair and Microsoft OS's, you should have the building blocks that are needed. Like most have said already, get a good book. Best thing to do is look on Amazon on the reviews for A+ books. Also might want to check out Professor Messors site. He has video and blogs that are similar to these here.

I made A+ out to be a mountain and took 6 months of studying to get over my fear of taking the 2 exams. I blew them out of the water, not really but it sounds better if I say that after the 6 months thing. But I score above 800 on both, and went right into Network+ and Security+. I had them all done in 9 months. Don't hesitate, jump in there and get it over with. You'll look back a few years down the road and say "Man that was really easy".
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    bmiguel88bmiguel88 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IDk about books though, they are pretty extensive (about 900-1200 pages most of them) I passes both my A+ essentials and practical application on my first try with an even score on both exams of 798. I only studied from my testout.com labs, that's all i used. Watched the videos, completed the labs, did the quizes (made sure i understood everything), took my practice exams and when i was ready i scheduled my exam 1 week away for enough time for double checks and reviewing and passed them. I did take both exams a month away from each other to help me focus on each exam as i got ready for it.

My .2 cents: Get a testout.com A+ lab and you'll be set in no time! :) ... otherwise get one of those books and you might look at 1 - 4 months of preparation before you could understand the material and feel confident and ready for the exam.

My suggestions: Know your laser printer, windows 7 directories and RAM. Of course, don't forget the boot process (POST) and wireless and ethernet standards (for ethernet remember the segments lengths for 10baset or 10base5, etc)