Options

New to Networking

CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Apart from setting up my home network, I have no networking experience at all. I'm looking to get my CCNA followed by my CCNP in the next few years. I just picked up CBT Nuggets' training course for CCENT/CCNA and was wondering if anyone has used their training videos in the past. It contains about 30-40 hours of training, even though I've heard from friends that it takes 200-400 hours of real training to pass the exam. Does anyone know if their training program is sufficient to pass?

Comments

• Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    The CBT Nuggets have a pretty good reputation. With that being said, people who use videos usually supplement that with other material just as books from Odom and Lammle. The reason being is that the videos that are out there are good for a general understanding but the books go into more technical detail. At least that's what I keep hearing.

I did the Cisco Netacademy courses at my local community college and then got the books from Odom. It has been a couple of years since I have taken the courses and never got around to taking the exams until now. So I have some studying to do. But it's still good and I probably would do it the same way. I just wouldn't have waited so long to start getting the certification.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It's best to study with a book. In IT, you're going to be reading a LOT of books to get the job you want.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    What the previous members said, CBT Nuggets is good but not enough alone w/o a good book (like the Sybex or CiscoPress guides).
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Prasad SatavPrasad Satav Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely agreed with every one... CBT nuggets is definitely an awesome resource to get things into your brains faster...
    But entirely depending on it is not a good idea..

It covers up everything briefly.. You have to read to get a better picture of the concepts..

I would suggest you to make written notes of whatever you pick from the videos.. because everything over there is on the fly.. looks very easy..and even easier to forget..

Written notes help it dissolve faster and you can quickly refer whenever you're stuck somewhere.. instead of running a 30-40 minutes video just for a small thing every time.

Labbing is a MUST indeed..!! :)
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    hmm... just wanted to add, even though Jeremy Ciora doesn't cover everything in detail, after watching his videos, you'll have a hard time getting used to other people's teaching =p

Jeremy just has too much enthusiasm that other people will sound "dull" in comparison =p haha

I had to speed up other video tutorials, video bootcamps, to at least 1.5x speed so that i wouldn't fall asleep.

So that's my advice. If any video sounds a bit boring or slow-paced, just speed the playback up and it'll be much easier to watch =D

Cheers,
    Mike
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone,

Each of the 30-40 minute videos have been taking me over an hour to get through will all the notes I'm taking, along with constant pausing and rewinding to make sure I understand a concept before I move on. It is proving to be a great resource and I'm fascinated by everything I'm learning in it.

I'll also be sure to pick up some extra books and lab equipment for further practice.