Options

HELP! Where do I start?

dfongdfong Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,
To quickly introduce myself, I'm currently still in college;however, I'm graduating in a few months and I really want to do something that has to do with computers. My major (Communications and Business Administration) however, has nothing to do with tech, but if anyone could give me some advice from where to start (getting certifications, reading books, etc.) I would really appreciate it. My computer experience isn't too great, I have built many computers and can do the basic functions (set up a network, computer diagnostics, and just fixing basic computer problems)

Any help is appreciated! I was wondering if I could teach myself some things online/book maybe about networks or anything really that sets me apart on my resume

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're still in college and want to do something dealing with computers, is it too late to change majors or double-major in something that will actually help you achieve your goals.. like EE, CS, or any BS degree? Your undergraduate degree doubtless already includes many classes that would help you with that. It would be a shame to get "a degree" if you could manage the extra work to get an "in-demand" degree in the field. Just saying! Best of luck to you, mate. :)
    if anyone could give me some advice from where to start (getting certifications, reading books, etc.) I would really appreciate it.
    In this direction, the first question is, what do you want to do with computers? An interest in programming, game development, artificial intelligence, robotics, network administration, system administration, etc. would all point you in different directions. Most people have some idea which path most interests them. If you don't care where you end up, any path will do.
  • Options
    I actually have thought about that but it would take an extra year and a half to 2 years and I can't afford that financially.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I would have to disagree with NetVet's suggestion. To be honest, I'd stick with your current degree plan (especially being that close to finishing). Business degrees are often more beneficial in IT than IT degrees are. Most employers look more to certs than degrees, just because you often have to renew certs (or at least be enrolled in a Continuing Education program). If you get a bachelors in IT however, everything you learned will be completely obsolete knowledge in less than 10 years.

I'd recommend starting with CompTIA. Look at either A+...(hardware), Net+...(networking fundamentals), or Sec+...(security fundamentals). Then you need to start figuring out more specifically what you are interested in. And we can probably give you better advice from there.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would finish up your current degree first. It's not worth changing majors if you want to get into IT. As the_hutch mentioned, most companies look at certs and degrees so once you finish with your degree, start working on some certs. A+, Network + are great starting points. I always recommend getting the current Windows desktop OS cert as well. More than likely you'll work as a tier1 tech, knowing how to deploy and manage Windows xp or 7 will be a nice skill to have.

I'd also like to add that I recommend checking out your local community college or vocational type institution(s) for job placement programs. You might be able to take a class and become eligible for their job placement program that assists folks get a job through the school.

Good luck!
  • Options
    ^^Thanks for the help above guys. I think i'll be working on my A+ and N+ to start after I graduate. My dad has worked Systems for about 30 years so he can help me get a job, I just needed some credentials that could show these employers that I am capable, and have some knowledge in the field.Will come back with progress and questions guys thanks!