Options

Is emailing a potential employer questions bad?

Little background. Im currently working as a Software Tester for a large company through a temp agency. I enjoy my job very much. Ive been there a year and was promised a review at the beginning of August for a raise. I felt I had a good shot at this as I feel I do great work and was given team leadership responsibilities for one of my projects.
Ive felt a little bummed out lately because my review has not gone through. The couple of times I asked about it I felt my manager gave me the run around. The more I go to work I realize its not a career.
Fast forward to today. I received an email from my previous employer ( also a temp agency) asking if im available for a tech support position.

I am currently working full time, but im curious about what this potential job opportunity could yield.
Is emailing the employer with questions such as: "wheres the job located? Whats the schedule like?" Acceptable? Im not sure if asking about pay would be bad either?

Help appreciated

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is emailing the employer with questions such as: "wheres the job located? Whats the schedule like?" Acceptable? Im not sure if asking about pay would be bad either?
    I'd pick up the phone, so they take you more seriously. There's absolutely nothing wrong about asking questions about the position, including all of those that you mentioned. :)

During your chat, I'd also insert a bit about what you could do for them!
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    I don't see why it would be. You have every right to look for a new job as much as the company you are working for has the right to make you work from home for free.

If you'll be dealing with a temp agency I would definitely ask what the pay range is.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Hi ranger

You can surely ask salary details upfront to see if it's worth it, but if you are interested in more info you can always patiently wait for a formal interview with the possible employer, you'll just lose about 1 hour of your day's time and you can have all your questions planned ahead and answered in a more straightforward and accountable manner.
    It's all a matter of handling your anticipation about it, it seems icon_wink.gif.

Best Regards
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    Just a heads up guys I did end up e-mailing (my phones broken and a new one wont be delivered til Monday) the HR rep. I had to decline the position because it was only a two month contract. Theres always next time i guess!