Excellent Android App - Fing

GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have to say, if you're a IT professional, get Fing on your phone. I have a amusing story that goes with this as well.

I recently read a article stating that Fing was something you should have on your phone as a network tool, and I was like, ok cool, I'll check it out when I have some free time. I had to go to the hospital yesterday for a eye emergency (everything is fine), and as I'm waiting there with my 3G android smartphone which is at 1 bar and slow as molasses, I decide to turn on the wireless. Lo and behold, there is a public wireless network.

I say to myself, cool. So I connect to this public wireless network. Sweet, my browsing speed jumped dramatically on my phone, because the internet is now faster.

So I'm surfing the web on my phone, and during this time my eyes are heavily dilated, plus I'm nearsighted and my glasses aren't worth anything at the moment. My phone is about a inch from my face, to give you the picture. Plus, I'm bored to tears waiting for the dilation to set in so they can look at my eyes.

So I remember to download Fing, it downloads and installs quickly, and then I open it to see what it's all about.

"Scanning.... 441 hosts detected" Within about 50 seconds, as soon as I opened the program, it immediately detects every host on the public wireless network. Not only that, it fingerprints them, so I can see the type of device. It went something like: Apple Apple Apple Apple Samsung Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple Dell Apple Apple Apple Cisco-Linksys Apple Apple Apple. You really see how Apple has taken over the medical and cellphone areas.

My first thought was... oh crap. I didn't think it was supposed to do that. My second thought was wow, this is cool, and yet another reminder to not use public wireless networks.

It gives you the IP address and MAC address, fingerprints the device, and then you can click on the device and do a port scan to see what open ports are on it. If it is 80 and 443 and 8080, it asks if you want to open a browser to that device. If there is port 445 open, it prompts you to download the AskSMB client, so you can have a SAMBA session going. Fascinating little tool.

Let's just say there could have been improvements in their security. Even my home wireless router if you log into the device allows you to set AP Isolation so the devices couldn't communicate with each other, and I believe SonicWall can do something similar (and alerts on a port scan as well). I'm sure there's ways to do it with automatic VLANS as well.

I was fiddling around with it on my home network - it's quite cool.

Apparently there is a way to get a virtual Linux instance on a Android OS (I think you have to root your phone), and then you can get Backtrack 5 loaded (with Metasploit and other security tools), therefore allowing you to compromise hosts from your smartphone.

Ah, technology. It just keeps getting better and better... and smaller. Anyway - it's a neat little tool. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why you don't connect to public wireless networks. Just sayin.

Comments

• Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    I gotta say i downloaded this when i read the thread the other day. had a play with it today before coming to work. I discovered that if I connect it to my work wireless it can only see other phones and windows boxes. for some reason it wont pick up NIX boxes????
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'