Options

real labs (hardware) vs simulated labs

orange_badgerorange_badger Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
i love looking at pictures of peoples set ups, just wondering if there is any real advantage to using a real physical set up as opposed to using a simulation such as packet tracer at a low level like icnd2. If not when would you say is the right time to invest in some hardware.

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Well, you can't practice things like ios upgrades, memory/flash/bootrom upgrades,rommon boots,tftp,xmodem things and such w/o investing in hardware. The "real life" issues with hardware/ installing / upgrades cards etc etc.

I would say to pass ICND1/CCNA you don't really HAVE to get hardware, but it's totally up to you. Some like working with the physical hardware, after all that's what you end up working with in the field if you think about it...

This has been discussed to death, and in the end it will really be up to you.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    ah right ok sorry if im bringing up an old topic
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    just wondering if there is any real advantage to using a real physical set up as opposed to using a simulation such as packet tracer..
    The third option is an emulator. An emulator lets you practice the real IOS without buying any hardware. Emulated routers are sufficient to master the CCIE routing exam topics. Simulated routers/switches are sufficient to master the CCNA routing and switching exam topics.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i love looking at pictures of peoples set ups, just wondering if there is any real advantage to using a real physical set up as opposed to using a simulation such as packet tracer at a low level like icnd2. If not when would you say is the right time to invest in some hardware.

I'm paid up on an Exploration class so I can get both real equipment and simulator experience! I would say the need to see and play with hardware is immediate or at the onset of your ICND1. Taking a hard to find instructor-led course can help you get it quickly, then you can decide to buy it after CCENT or even ICND2.
  • Options
    ah right thanks for the help anyway guys .
  • Options
    Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Home labs blow simulation out of the water! For less than the price of one college class, you can have an awesome Cisco lab. Hit ebay up and do your research.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Home labs blow simulation out of the water! For less than the price of one college class, you can have an awesome Cisco lab. Hit ebay up and do your research.
    I semi-object. My emulated lab blows most home hardware labs out of the water. ;)

(All hail, of course, Scott Morris.)

+ I have more devices than most, allowing me to configure complex topologies. You are not going to be able to accomplish the CCNP TSHOOT or CCIP labs with "3 routers + 3 switches"!
    + I can reconfigure my devices to implement unique topologies in seconds or minutes, such as whatever topology I happen to be reading about in a Cisco Press book or on TechExams.
    + I don't have to waste time learning about end-of-life equipment and their modules / pricing.
    + I don't have to waste time ordering the above, waiting for them, returning them, etc.
    + I can run a modern, feature-rich version of IOS.

Using emulators yields a time savings, meaning faster certification and/or more time for learning protocols. Now, GNS3 + real switches, you're in learning Valhalla. :p

(If I go for Juniper certs, I'm using Junosphere!)
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    there definite pluses, and minuses to using emulation or hardware. Yes, Emulation will be faster because it's point and click, drag there, here. poof. got yourself a 20-router setup.

For those that only have had emulation/simulation, however. I would definitely recommend them atleast getting to know the hardware.

It's like subnet calculators. Yes, you can use subnet calculators while studying for your CCNA. But you really haven't learned how to subnet the long ways. Most likely subnettingisk questions will stomp you to the curb on the test. Better how you know everything else 100%!

Much like using simulations, you wont know the way to find the hardware, cabling, etc. All the subtle nuiances of having to use hardware. After you feel like you've gotten to the point where hardware is slower "because it's slower" and not "Because I'm lazy and don't want to find out how". Im sure you'll look like a fool if you can't use the terminal on the job.

To that end: I don't see a downside to using software. Like I said - hard to beat a scalable network setup as long as you have the computing power to do it. Heck, it keeps your room cooler. but I like to see the blinking lights and being all in it! Hardware Makes it more real for me. It's easier to sit down and study for something that I can put actually see tangible results. I can feel the switch, routers, see the lights, hear the fans. It's real. I can work with "real"

Now, that's how I'm wired up (Pun not intended). Some people can work with simulators without a problem. That's great!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    The main thing is to get at least something! The more you are in the cli setting things up and troubleshooting, the better. I used packet tracer for my CCNA, and then pieced out a home lab for my CCNP. I got all this August 2011. Ever since then I've been chugging along on the NP, and the home lab is awesome! It really makes me happy lol.

Since I'm not around equipment much currently, it was a must for me. To have a bunch of routers and switches sitting in my study room with me really made me push harder, and want to learn. I'd also recommend a physical home lab to any noobs out there, such as myself (but I'm pushing more and more outside of noob status now, lol). This is because I ran into physical layer problems every now and again. Also, cause I needed practice making my own cables and such. But, if you do all this at work anyway, maybe you wouldn't care for a home lab. So I bought a spool of cable, a crimper, and rj-45 connectors as well. You might as well go all in if you're serious! In addition, piecing out a home lab requires that you read around, do research, and price compare.. basically, it taught me a lot about the router and switch models out there, as well as all the modules you can buy for them. Great stuff!

However, if you have some experience, or just don't want to spend money on a home lab, emulators such as GNS3 are fantastic! My decision to purchase a home lab was primarily to feel "closer" to the technology, since I wasn't at the time. It's also funny when people come over and see it, and they're like wtf is going on here!? Lol, yea, those are my non-techie friends..
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi