Options

vlan + telnet

orange_badgerorange_badger Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
basically ive got a switch setup to telnet. Done the line vty stuff, no shut on the vlan etc etc , but can not telnet into any other vlan then vlan 1 when an address is assigned to it. even when i assign only one other vlan an address and removed the ip address from vlan 1. was just wondering why this is? What makes vlan 1 so special, i know its there by default but other then that. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    basically ive got a switch setup to telnet. Done the line vty stuff, no shut on the vlan etc etc , but can not telnet into any other vlan then vlan 1 when an address is assigned to it. even when i assign only one other vlan an address and removed the ip address from vlan 1. was just wondering why this is? What makes vlan 1 so special, i know its there by default but other then that.
    It's not special in this regard, which means you have a misconfiguration somewhere. Perhaps you don't have any ports assigned to this VLAN? Perhaps you misconfigured your IP addresses? Perhaps the device you are telnetting in from is on a different VLAN and you haven't configured inter-vlan routing? Start with a structured debugging process. If the application layer is failing, test the network layer. Post your topology and configuration so we're not blindly guessing.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I labbed similar scenarios before, and off the top of my head, the problem is as NetVet has described.

If you configure

int vlan 2
    ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0
    no shut

(conf) ip default-gateway 2.2.2.1

and try to ping it.... from a vlan 1 access port.. yea, that's not going to work. =p
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    orange_badgerorange_badger Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tried a couple of the things you suggested above and got it in the end thanks