Options

Linkedin and embaressing posts?

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey,

I am getting to grips with Linkedin and everyone already employed in IT that I know say its an invaluable networking tool for people, recruiters and employers. I am apart of the techexams group and was about to post my username but thought it would be best to check out my posts before I did. If I knew a recruiter or potential employer would be reading my old posts I would die of embarrassment.

Between complaining about my old college, bitching about work, some odd ramblings and a few helpful productive posts...is it worth having this name on this forum associated with my real name? It would be the most honest thing to do, but If I could start again and assume who might be reading my posts I would mostly likely come across as someone a bit different, not least with better grammer, less bitchin and much, much more helpful.

Any thoughts on this?

I will never stop studying, and thus will mostly likely be on this forum forever. Maybe it would be a wise choice to start again and come back clean, professional and more...suave icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    I use my name, with the idea being that I am always building my 'brand'. Same on Twitter, Facebook, my blog, etc.

When I put something on the internet, I assume that: Anyone can (and will) see it, and that they'll associate it with me. I treat it no differently than if I was in person at a conference/meetup, on a call, at the supermarket, etc.

I think being active in communities such as these provide great value (especially in IT).