Need advice on what to do now

killuminati1987killuminati1987 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Right now I have both my A+ and N+, and I'm trying to get a B.S. in computer science. In order to complete the degree, I need to do nine technical electives, with at least 3 to 4 courses following a specific track. Since there's a lot of overlap, I want to complete both the networking track and the security and cryptography track my uni offers. I'm still covering basic courses like discrete math and beginning software engineering, so I haven't started on either track yet. During my time off this year, I plan on getting another cert. In the long run, would it be more beneficial to me when I hit my track courses to get the security+ cert or the CCNA this year?

Really stuck here, as I can see the potential benefit to both when it comes time to take my technical electives.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I only found one topic on this and his situation was a little bit different than mine.

Comments

• matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sec+ is pretty expense with not a lot of payoff IMO. I'd go for CCNA if i was in your position. ( Do the two exam route. cisco exams are different then comptia, my advice is take it slow)
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you know how awesome Security+ is? I mean hot damn. Fire up GNS3 with Virtual Boxes, and do a christmas tree attack on the windows host you just setup!

Yeah! Christmas Tree Attack. That's right. It's awesome. I still don't really understand the "Christmas" portion... but its pretty sweet, nonetheless!

Read through Security+, don't study it for a test. Just go through it. It's pretty amazing. Especially if you look at the real world drama around security these days.

I had a moment of weakness studying for S+, when I thought to myself. Maybe I should go CEH! but then I remember CCNA:Security!

Oh. My. Heavens. Yes. icon_cheers.gif
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams