Options

What is the true measurement of Intelligence?

pretty_boypretty_boy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I would like to read some your opinions on this. What is the true measurement of Intelligence? I have being trying tackle this subject for a while. Now, I need help.

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    If you want to define intelligence, I suppose we first have to make the statement that knowledge and intelligence are two different things, so as to not be confused.

In our case, knowledge would be what we gain from studying for certifications, etc.

When I think of intelligence, I don't think of it as reflecting the amount of knowledge we have aquired throughout our studies. For example, I wouldn't say someone is intelligent simply because they were knowledgable about a topic. Although one could argue that someone must be intelligent before they could obtain knowledge and learn a subject, but everyone knows something, and that doesn't necessarily mean everyone is "intelligent."

When I think of intelligence, I think of it as a measure of someone's ability to think and reason, not necessarily an ability to learn new material. For example, do they accept what they're told without questions?

As far as actually measuring intelligence, I don't think that it's possible to "measure" something which is so intangible.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Wow. /Usr sums up my opinion pretty much. Also, being booksmart doesn't make you intelligent. I know a couple of people who did very well in school, even went to a prestigious university, but when it comes to common sense, you'd think they're complete morons. The IQ scale is controversial because people are different, and I don't think it can be truly measured either, especially with the advent of "learning dissabilities" in the past 10-15 years. Drs. give out pills to make learning "easier", when it's probably just the method of teaching that has become the problem. Also, parents always, and I mean always push their kids to do better, even if they don't really understand the material they're trying to learn. If one had no true interest, or internal desire to learn something, it will be more difficult to teach them that as opposed to someone who is eager to learn.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I suppose that you also run into another dillema.

If someone isn't quick witted and can't reason things out as well as most people, is considered "below normal intelligence", but knows how to do a job better than most people (working on cars, electrician, whatever...), would you say that person isn't intelligent?

If you would say yes, then that destroys the definition I previously used, which is an ability to reason and think things through. That would also destroy societies measure of "below normal" intelligence.

If you say he isn't intelligent, you run into a moral dillema where you're judging someone based on some criteria. Also, if the person is considered to have below average intelligence by societies standards, but knows how to do some job better than the average person who does the job, wouldn't that make him more intelligent than others, at least in that area?

Then I suppose we are back to where we started. Do we measure intelligence by judging how much someone knows about a certain subject? What if someone has the capability of learning that subject, but simply hasn't done so? What if someone is able to learn one subject extremely well, but is unable to grasp another, would you call that person unintelligent?

It seems impossible to be able to meaningfully measure intelligence.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    "True intelligence" is artificial

"Real intelligence" is concept icon_idea.gif

Intelligence - based on abiltiy and aptitude

IMO
    What next?
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    I like /USR and JMC724's explanation both, but I would dare to combine the two

Ability, aptitude, and rational.

Intelligence is such a loaded word, isnt it :D
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    pretty_boypretty_boy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    /usr wrote:
    person unintelligent?

It seems impossible to be able to meaningfully measure intelligence.

I agree.
  • Options
    drewm320drewm320 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Knowledge is the accumulation of facts or experiences.

Intelligence is the ability to apply knowledge to a new situation.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    When I think intelligence, I think common sense.

You can apply your knowledge, but how well can you do it. Can you figure out a faster way, a easier way?
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.