Good book for database design, normalisation etc

KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
Hi,

I studied this as a college subject but never really got any practical experience (limited querying of databases using SQL is as much as I've done with databases). I found the college examples and problems quite structured in terms of getting to an end solution, and they only had certain level of complexity.

I always found this very tough, and am never sure if it is correct.

As an example of the type of thing I get really confused on, if I need to create a timesheet record: Employee enters timesheet for the day and their manager has to sign-off on it. The manager also has to complete their timesheet and get it signed off by their manager, etc. Now I know that there really should only be one staff table, but I am struggling to understand how best to implement this when certain staff members have multiple roles.

Can anyone recommend a good book on this whole area that they have personally used, with an emphasis on the practical. I have a few things that I would like to set up a database for, but I want it to be right from the start in terms of good design, normalised and no data redundancy.

Thanks.

Comments