Options

CyberCoders

sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
Anyone familiar with this company? I see a lot of ads on linkedin, but I've never heard of them in the IT/Consulting market. They appear to have some great jobs postings, with pretty competitive salaries.
"The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I might have come across them once or twice. It's just a recruiting company. Whatever postings you see are for their clients. It's worth applying just to find out, but what I hate about these ads is that they usually don't tell you the client until you talk to them. For me, knowing the company and even the address of their office have always been big factors in a potential job. Still, I wouldn't really rule out any recruiters -- if the job looks right for you, apply.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There was one job posting I saw with them and I did apply to it, just to see who they were. I have a phone interview with the actual client in a couple of weeks.

They are a legit recruiting company, but and the rep I spoke to was pleasant. But I told him from the get that I'm not going to take a pay cut from what I'm making now, regardless of where this particular client is located. But we'll see how the interview goes. (I like keeping my options open, and using these interviews as potential practice.)
  • Options
    MJohnsonresMJohnsonres Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I get emails from the all the time. They are one of the better technology recruiting firms.
    Best of luck with your interview and keep us posted on your progress.
  • Options
    A may submit my resume to get a feel for what's out there. I've been with the same company for several years now and I've noticed that the salaries being offered for my skill set are much higher than what I'm getting now. I'm considering making a move if the offer and relocation is right.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    Best of luck with your interview and keep us posted on your progress.

Well, I am going to enjoy a nice trip, courtesy of the client. I'm scared for two reasons:

1) The phone screen that I had with them showed that I make good "fit." They seemed knowledgeable, knew that I was knowledgeable, and they seem like I'd get a long pretty well with them. It scares me because based on where this client is, I'm afraid I might go "Jack and the Beanstalk" and take the magic beans...except that there will be no beanstalk for erpadmin to climb AND there will be no goose that lays golden eggs.

2) The homework I did on the people that interviewed me shows that I currently make more than the peers that interviewed me (not the big boss though, but even with that it wasn't by much.)

What I have going for me is that I'm gettin' flown out AND I was told that this client has to fill a lot of positions, but their HR department won't let them fill them without filling the current vacancies they have. This position has been on the shelf for several months. I think I have leverage, but what I need from you guys is how can I use it?

I would be very happy taking a full lateral salary if it meant I could work at this particular place. Reason being, they're a UNIX shop and they are unconcerned that I only have a Windows background. They want to see how much I actually know in Windows (shouldn't be a problem) and O/Ses in general. They want the ERP experience I bring to the table. Plus, this client looks great on a resume.

If I never needed counsel before, this is definitely the time I seek it now. I'm not trying to hijack this thread; my story is relevant because it's because of this recruiter that I'm even making this inquiry.
  • Options
    Hey erpadmin ... thanks for hijacking this thread. I swear sometimes TE threads just die for some unexplained reason. Good job with researching the company you're interviewing with I did the same on a company that's showing some interest in me and I've found some really bad info. I'm not certain if I should proceed with interviewing or not, but it's enticing because the salary range we're discussing is $30-40K more than I'm getting now. My current company has a great reputation, but they low ball on pay and bonuses and have a tendency to treat the engineering talent like "the help".
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    They are picky. They try to find the best talent and lure you in with the salary range on the job board pages.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Well, I am going to enjoy a nice trip, courtesy of the client. I'm scared for two reasons:

1) The phone screen that I had with them showed that I make good "fit." They seemed knowledgeable, knew that I was knowledgeable, and they seem like I'd get a long pretty well with them. It scares me because based on where this client is, I'm afraid I might go "Jack and the Beanstalk" and take the magic beans...except that there will be no beanstalk for erpadmin to climb AND there will be no goose that lays golden eggs.

2) The homework I did on the people that interviewed me shows that I currently make more than the peers that interviewed me (not the big boss though, but even with that it wasn't by much.)

Sup all,

I just wanted to give an update on this particular thread. My grad school thread (and PMP) will get updated in a couple of weeks (work, post-Sandy, school...have all been effing crazy the last couple of months.)

I got a soft offer from the client that I started with a couple of months ago with Cybercoders. At this point, I've been dealing with the client directly, but I did keep Cybercoders in the loop. Basically, I like all of the benefits this particular client has to offer with the exception of the offer. Nothing is best and final, but if the client comes back with the minimum I'm willing to accept, then Cybercoders will be the first third party that I've spoken to in my entire career that had found me a great lead. The recruiter has done some behind-the-scenes and the hiring manager is doing the best that can be done to meet my expectations. I was firm just on the salary requirements.

In short, Cybercoders is definitely legitimate. I did get flown out to meet the client themselves (at their expense) and met with the people I'd be working with. I even learned during that short trip that the decision was already made before I even flew out, so now it is just a numbers game. Basically, if "x" salary is less than "y" then I will be saying thanks but not thanks, but I have a strong feeling that's not going to happen because this position really needs to be filled. Sadly, I can't really go into anymore detail than I can right now, but it is looking very, very good.

I will give a lessons learned though.

1) Be firm, from the beginning with the third party. That is important, because if you are saying your minimum is 70,000 (for example) but you'd be happy with 60,000, then trust and believe you will get 59,000. That was actually what had happened with my current job and I made sure I would not make that same mistake twice. I would have to stay at my current job for the amount of time I did just to see a salary I can take with me, or even exceed (and that's exactly what happened.) Of course, location is just as important and it is one to keep in mind. This particular location is a place that I'll have no qualms complaining about personally.

2) Be firm and respectful with the third party's client. These are the people you are going to be working with and for. All the standard rules apply as if you had found this organization on your own. When the time comes to discuss salary, that is going to be with the hiring manager/future boss. Respectfully explain the situation and keep it very real. They have expectations, you have expectations. If all of that is clear from the onset, then all parties concerned will be very happy.

3) Do not, under any circumstances, sell yourself short. Whether you are unemployed, or currently employed, this rule is one to always follow. If you want 50,000, but you are willing to do 35,000, then you are going to be unhappy at that job. I know others would take a position if it was 49,999.99, but I'm not one of those people, and that is the mindset I have. With this particular company, I would be excited and thrilled to have them on my resume, but at the same time, I do not have to take so much as a penny less than what is being asked. So you can imagine if a job is 50000, and best and final is 48500, or even 49000. That's just an automatic no. However, if the time comes to decline an offer, respectfully decline such an offer.

The culmination of experience and a decent educational background is what lead to all of this. If you know that you add value and can bring something to the table, then you can see how the above makes sense.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Sup all,

I just wanted to give an update on this particular thread. My grad school thread (and PMP) will get updated in a couple of weeks (work, post-Sandy, school...have all been effing crazy the last couple of months.)

I got a soft offer from the client that I started with a couple of months ago with Cybercoders. At this point, I've been dealing with the client directly, but I did keep Cybercoders in the loop. Basically, I like all of the benefits this particular client has to offer with the exception of the offer. Nothing is best and final, but if the client comes back with the minimum I'm willing to accept, then Cybercoders will be the first third party that I've spoken to in my entire career that had found me a great lead. The recruiter has done some behind-the-scenes and the hiring manager is doing the best that can be done to meet my expectations. I was firm just on the salary requirements.

In short, Cybercoders is definitely legitimate. I did get flown out to meet the client themselves (at their expense) and met with the people I'd be working with. I even learned during that short trip that the decision was already made before I even flew out, so now it is just a numbers game. Basically, if "x" salary is less than "y" then I will be saying thanks but not thanks, but I have a strong feeling that's not going to happen because this position really needs to be filled. Sadly, I can't really go into anymore detail than I can right now, but it is looking very, very good.

I will give a lessons learned though.

1) Be firm, from the beginning with the third party. That is important, because if you are saying your minimum is 70,000 (for example) but you'd be happy with 60,000, then trust and believe you will get 59,000. That was actually what had happened with my current job and I made sure I would not make that same mistake twice. I would have to stay at my current job for the amount of time I did just to see a salary I can take with me, or even exceed (and that's exactly what happened.) Of course, location is just as important and it is one to keep in mind. This particular location is a place that I'll have no qualms complaining about personally.

2) Be firm and respectful with the third party's client. These are the people you are going to be working with and for. All the standard rules apply as if you had found this organization on your own. When the time comes to discuss salary, that is going to be with the hiring manager/future boss. Respectfully explain the situation and keep it very real. They have expectations, you have expectations. If all of that is clear from the onset, then all parties concerned will be very happy.

3) Do not, under any circumstances, sell yourself short. Whether you are unemployed, or currently employed, this rule is one to always follow. If you want 50,000, but you are willing to do 35,000, then you are going to be unhappy at that job. I know others would take a position if it was 49,999.99, but I'm not one of those people, and that is the mindset I have. With this particular company, I would be excited and thrilled to have them on my resume, but at the same time, I do not have to take so much as a penny less than what is being asked. So you can imagine if a job is 50000, and best and final is 48500, or even 49000. That's just an automatic no. However, if the time comes to decline an offer, respectfully decline such an offer.

The culmination of experience and a decent educational background is what lead to all of this. If you know that you add value and can bring something to the table, then you can see how the above makes sense.

So true! in my search, i ended up never telling them what i wanted and asking them the range for the position. I would avoid saying a number until an offer was made. you are absolutely right though. Their goal is to hire you at the lowest salary they can do so.
  • Options
    skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had my first experience with them a few weeks ago and it went pretty well. They got me in front of their client quickly after receiving my resume and even went to bat for me with the counteroffer. I will be starting the new gig in January :D All in all I'd say it was a positive experience
  • Options
    I was asked for a number on the application. At that point, I just kept it real. I wasn't even seriously looking, more like testing the waters. I was either going to get a call or not get a call and if I didn't get a call, no harm or foul.

It's just that now...it's become serious and somewhat complicated, though that's what soul searching is for.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How did you make out with this company? Do me a favor call me tommorow.. Want to hear the great news...... I sent you a private message.. I took a really friggin sweet deal man. About dam time I got something like this too :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.