Intimidated by Cisco

rukisamarukisama Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I think the thing that intimidates me the most about the Cisco certifications is all the hardware terminology thrown around. I'd like to build a starter lab, but all of the talk about WIC-1Ts and AUIs goes over my head at the moment and I don't know where to start learning about all those things, everything I've personally seen on here takes for granted that one knows this stuff.

I get some networking experience at work, but it's mostly setting up/maintaining home and small business networks for now (we do maintain a couple of larger networks with more heavy-duty Cisco equipment, but my boss hasn't let me loose on those yet :P ). I also have my Network+, so it's not the general internetworking stuff that has me confused. I apologize if this has been covered, but I personally couldn't find it on the stickies. Thanks for all the help!

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rukisma, if you want to learn about the hardware people use for home labs, check out this site--

CCNA Certification: CCNA, Cisco certification, Cisco routers, Cisco switches, Ci

Note, a home hardware lab is not required to master Cisco exam objectives, as just discussed on another thread. You might find it more interesting and practical to learn about the hardware your company is actually deploying and supporting. :)
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• HectorPHectorP Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm right there with you. I can barely spell Cisco. But at least you're at the right place for answers.
    Personally I'm leaning on purchasing a lab kit, at least to get started. I've read numerous posts of how to build a home lab on the cheap, but I'm still fuzzy on modules, software, and cables. Good info at the links posted above. I have them bookmarked now. Thanks!
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A kit is definitely a quick way to get running on the pavement. But having the items already bought for you isn't going to clear up the fuzzines on modules, software and cables. You've gotta do the footwork at one point or another. Might as well do it while you build your own lab, and not buying hardware for someone else :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• rukisamarukisama Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help, those links have definitely cleared some of it up for me.
  • staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The important thing is to stick with it. Every company has their own acronyms that we learn and start using. If you're working on small business I'm sure it is mostly Microsoft where they have - RDP, AD, SBS, IIS, on and on.

The thing that is tough about Cisco is the documentation isn't always plain or laid out well. Stick with it, pretty soon you'll be talking Cisco in no time and confusing everyone around you!