Options

What degree to help me in my career

amb1s1amb1s1 Member Posts: 408
Hi, I'm a network engineer for a large Provider. I'm also a CCNP and planning to be a ccie in the future with the help of my employer. I want to go back to college, but I don't want to take the same thing tha I'm doing in my job because I will find that I'm going to be more advance. What degree should I take that it will incorporate with my career in some way that will be make me a better Engineer? Thanks in advance.
David G.
http://gomezd.com <
My Tshoot test Blog
http://twitter.com/ipnet255

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you don't just want to learn about what you already do, be sure to stay away from infrastructure-focused degrees. WGU, which is very popular here, would not be good for your goals, in my opinion.

I would suggest you pick one of two directions:
    Option one is to go towards a more business-focused degree, meaning maybe some MIS degrees, and definitely business administration, economics, or an MBA if you are looking at graduate degrees. I don't know that these will make you a better engineer, but they will (hopefully) help you better align technology with business needs by improving your understanding of those needs.

Option two is to go heavily technical: Get a computer science undergrad and probably a master's degree after that. There are plenty of applications for the mixture of the knowledge taught by computer science and the skills a network engineer has. There is little doubt a computer science degree would make you a better engineer.

Avoid: CIS, IT, IS, Network Administration, etc.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That is, imho, good advice. :)
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    I totally agree with ptilsen's option 1 :)!!!
    Best of luck amb1s1
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the ROI would be better spent on the CCIE, but if you are set on going back I'd agree with ptilsen. Comp Sci, Comp Engi or Business.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Im not done yet but I really like the classes for a computer science degree (other than Discrete Structures that is just terrible from the 2 weeks I have been in it). I would honestly tell anyone to do a CS degree if they are interested in computer. I do not want to be a programmer when I get done but the knowledge in my opinion will still be VERY useful.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm going to agree with the consensus that you're probably going to want to go for a business degree or either an electrical engineering or computer science degree. Actually, what I'd recommend, (if you have the drive to do it,) would be to take the technical undergraduate degree while taking business-related courses as either a minor or as your general education, then pursue an MBA after that. It would be a LOT of work, there would be lots and lots of classes to take, but it might be worth it if you're really looking to set yourself apart.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.