Options

Network + and Security +

Oracle712Oracle712 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings All

I have worked at Help Desk troubleshooting Thin Clients and printers via the Internet or Phone for 1 year and 6 months. I was laid off due to "Department Restructuring". Since I am having no luck with the job search, mostly due to no certifications under my belt. I have decided to go for my Network + and Security + simultaneously. Somewhere down the line I hope to have a job working in a Data Center. I understand that 's years away from now. The materials I've been using are Mike Meyer's Network +, Darril Gibbson Security + and Professor Messer's Video's. I hope to be ready by the end of the month for both tests. My question is. Once I pass, what jobs and pay should I be aiming for ? What job search sites should I look on ? Getting laid off as a single parent has been really difficult experience. I'm looking to get back in the arena better prepared. Thanks guys in advanced for advice.

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Once I pass, what jobs and pay should I be aiming for? Pay will vary depending on your location. Since your in NY I would
    think you would get 15-20 dollars an hour probably more. As for jobs you should look for entry level postions such as help desk and desktop support. You may even get lucky an find a junior networking/security role.

What job search sites should I look on? monster.com, dice.com, careerbuilder.com, linkedin.com
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Hey Oracle, welcome to TE. I am currently a job seeker myself. Your experience should help a lot. I have been mostly checking Craigslist for job postings as well as Dice. Dice seems to have some more higher level jobs that require more experience. Have you considered doing you A+ instead of Security+? I believe just based off of what I have seen that A+ will probably be a better cert for you at this point, as it seems like government is the only people who care about Sec+ consistently. I think with your past work experience A+ should be pretty easy to study for and I think for the type of jobs you are looking at currently it will be more valuable. I have also talked to a couple recruiters and have been pretty impressed so far, I thought it would be a gimmick, but they do have a lot of entry level stuff I hadn't seen posted anywhere else. You might want to give that route a shot. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. Question. Where should I look for the vouchers to take the tests?
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oracle712 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. Question. Where should I look for the vouchers to take the tests?

I live in NYC too and this is where I take all my tests (they offer a discount on the more popular test vouchers and it's walk-in testing):

Authorized Testing Center

It's pretty much centrally located - close to Grand Central Station, easily accessible from the 4, 5, 6, 7, B, D, F, M trains and via the shuttle from Times Square to the A, C, E, 1, 2, 3, N, Q, R trains.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Excellent!! Thank You Brothers. No on with Studying