Options

Why is M$ going so fast.

RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
Why is M$ going so fast. Is this like a 'get the guests' game or what? I'm already exhausted trying to keep up with .Net, and now this upcoming 'yukon' sql server is just adding to the bitterness. Developers and DB admins don't get the headache networkers do though. The wheel just seems to be rotating fast enough to drive some nuts. Don't you guys feel exhausted?

Ahhh - they have to make their billions somehow. The easiest way is to develop a new version and then stop support for the old one - thus forcing admin to upgrade. I do know a few places that are still using NT servers with W98 desktops and they have no interest in upgrading at the moment.
www.supercross.com
FIM website of the year 2007

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Hey RussS, you usurped my thread. icon_cry.gif

Isn't this funny. I started this thread and now you're the author with a qoute pointing to my question. very funny indeed icon_confused.gif:
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    hmmm - not sure how that happened icon_confused.gif:

I just replied to what you had wrote - perhaps because I had another screen open? - have to ask Johan about that.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    maybe microsoft should lay off some of their developers and software writers. that way the new products won't get released so soon after each other ;)
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Darn.... icon_redface.gif sorry for the confusion guys, my mistake....

I wanted to continue this discussion, as well as some others might want to... but not in the Windows 2003 Question of the Day Sticky topic....

... moderators going off-topic.. what is the world coming to? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Whew - I thought I had broke it ........... lol

Kind of like the place I walked into yesterday - the tech there had spent half an hour looking for a reason why a machine wouldn't boot up. 45 seconds and I found the blown capacitors - damn I wished the guy who did the hiring was there at the time ... lol
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    I wanted to continue this discussion...
    but this:
    bellboy wrote:
    maybe microsoft should lay off some of their developers and software writers. that way the new products won't get released so soon after each other
    pretty much says it all :)

RussS wrote:
    they have to make their billions somehow. The easiest way is to develop a new version and then stop support for the old one
    I knew I should have become a developer icon_rolleyes.gif

I wish they would release a new version of Windows every 6 months... oops forgot... they actually do... but they call it a Service Pack ;)
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    I knew I should have become a developer icon_rolleyes.gif

and get a whack in the face like this

http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.asp

man! what are we gonna do with Micro$oft? I mean Visual Studio 6 is used by the majority of developers who use M$ Windows. There are 40,000 of us certified out there. God knows how many aren't but still use VS6. I thought M$ would be smart/kind enough to wait until 2005/6 this time. But..... icon_cry.gif

I'm off to Wall Street - rob, pillage, plunder and ultimately learn how to become heartless in 21 days. icon_sad.gif

2lbs.
  • Options
    After June 30, 2004, these exams will no longer be offered (no candidate requirements to retain certification):
    It is just that other people can't take them anymore... you'll still be MCSD.
    There are 40,000 of us certified out there. God knows how many aren't but still use VS6.
    That should be enough :) Look at it like this: if Vx6 will continue to be popular (in demand) it will only be better for you if less people will be able to take these exam... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    Look at it like this: if Vx6 will continue to be popular (in demand) it will only be better for you if less people will be able to take these exam... icon_wink.gif

Oh! There we go. icon_cry.gif Even the Webmaster is sounding like a Redmond official. One of those officials said something like that in a press briefing a few weeks ago. But he said it rather subliminally. Like "Well, ya'll know it's time people get better opportunities...." blab blab bla.

I’m thinking about writing a pelican brief sort of a book about I.T. business and how it’s turning into the most predacious and desperate element of this………. Oh…. Forget it…. We gotta live with it. icon_cry.gif

2lbs. :)
  • Options
    icon_cry.gif Even the Webmaster is sounding like a Redmond official.

Can't be. I started with Novell Netware ;)

But seriously, what do you have to live with? You are MCSD on the 6 track, these will be retired, but you will remain your MCSD status... Those currently pursuing it still have a full year to finish it...

The thing with Microsoft is the same as with anything people depend on... they start kicking it.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    icon_cry.gif Even the Webmaster is sounding like a Redmond official.

Can't be. I started with Novell Netware ;)

But seriously, what do you have to live with? You are MCSD on the 6 track, these will be retired, but you will remain your MCSD status... Those currently pursuing it still have a full year to finish it...

The thing with Microsoft is the same as with anything people depend on... they start kicking it.

What I and others have to live with is very clear. People put in extensive time and effort getting these certifications. Some are financially incapable so they have to wait until they can accumulate enough money. Some are rich and don't have financial problems. But both groups share one devastating problem. Their problem sounds like this "Why should I do this anyways.... why?". We get BA's and keep them forever. We get MCSD's and also get to keep them forever. But with I.T., we live with a big scary problem. It's sounds like this "Why not just wait until the new version comes out?". That's what I'm saying to myself now. Why shouldn't I wait until SQL Server “Yukon” comes out instead of exhausting myself now for the 2000 Certificate? People are humans, they’re not computers. We shouldn’t forget that. People work for something and they expect reinforcement. A certificate is an example. But that's not all. Some people don't have to worry; either because they cram the knowledge from brain **** the last minute or it just doesn't make any sense to them. But those who study and study real hard don't like to see their bucket of water spilled so easily. icon_redface.gif

Some might ask; so what is the solution? Well I think the answer to that question is simple. Let the people get the certificates. When a new technology comes out, let the people take acceleration exams (For free or for a decent price, doesn’t matter). People have to stay current with new technologies, but they should be given a chance. I paid approx a grand for my MCSD. I’m not ready to pay another grand for MCSD.net. (Doesn’t matter if I can afford it or not). But if Micro$oft gave me a chance to upgrade my I.T. skills for about half the price I paid for it before, I’d take it. It’s like lowering a draw-bridge for those who can’t reach the door. (I.T. is a very expensive, time-consuming and, of course, rewarding business) Oh…. I forgot …. Who’s that merciful in I.T. (a.k.a. corporations) anyways?

End Rant ~ We gotta live with it, it’s called I.T. :D

2lbs.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    let the people take acceleration exams (For free or for a decent price, doesn't matter)

like a loyalty bonus for sticking with microsoft instead of learning the skills in similar products on the open-source market?
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    bellboy wrote:
    like a loyalty bonus for sticking with microsoft instead of learning the skills in similar products on the open-source market?

nope :D