Options

Crimp tools and punchdown tools advice

mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
So I've been making my own cables for a while now... with the cheapest crimper you can find =( I don't have a cable tester so I'm not sure. But it seems like half the times it comes down to guesswork whether I crimped them right or not. I mean, the cables work of course, but are they crimped well? who knows. Sometimes it even squashes the latching tab and the plug won't latch anymore. =(

I also got myself a patch panel so I'll be looking forwards to punching down some cables. =D

I'd like to ask you guys for advice on networking tools. What kind of crimp tools and punchdown tools do you recommend?

There are quite a few variety, and since I don't really work in IT yet, I don't have experience with any of them.

Crimpers:
- crimpers that crimp sideways
- crimpers that push "upwards"
- multitool crimpers that cut/strip and crimp
- ratcheting crimpers
- etc...

Punch down tools:
- impact tools
- non impact tools
- adjustable force
- punchdown tools with exchangeable blades
- keystone punch-at-once tool

@_@ that's a handful =p but yea! please let me know what you think, and what has worked for you.

Thanks!
Mike
Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
Future: CCNP, CCIE

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Amazon.com: Paladin Tools 3579 SurePunch PunchDown Tool With Both 110 and 66 Blades: Electronics - brilliant punch down tool!

As for crimpers, I bought my last one at a Radio Shack in 1999 and it's worked like a charm since.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    This is all I've used for punchdowns and keystones. Works fine and you'll be a pro after you've done 10 or so. The first couple took 15 minutes each I'd guess, by the end i could strip the cable and punch them all down within a minute or two.

Amazon.com: DataShark 70034 110 Non-Impact Punchdown Tool: Home Improvement

I don't know as far as crimpers, you might be better off finding a low price cable tester.

Edit: cable tester for $5 http://www.amazon.com/HDE-HDE-H11-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B000P1OA1O/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_z I'd be interested to know if someone has this and if it works decent or not.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have used the Ideal toolset. I had some others that I loved but I am using the Ideal crimper and have for over 10 years. You will develop your own opinion after some time. Is is just a comfort factor.
    If you do this as a job or you are constantly do it at work you can: ask your company to buy it, make one (which is just too much time and effort), or buy one for $70 - $90 USD. This way you will have a better feel if the cables test right after you crimp and before you test.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    @Tackle - I have the network tester (I think I got it free with my crimper) it works well. I have yet for it not to work right.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll be looking at those recommendations.

So basically, it doesn't matter too much if it crimps sideways/updown, ratcheting or not, and whether punchdown is impact or non-impact.

It all comes down to personal preference, correct?
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have Radio Shack crimpers from 1998 or 1999 they still work fine my Krone punch down is just a cheep $.99 off ebay.
    When I was in the NetAcademy they had these Platinum Tools EZ-RJ45 Network Connectors - Simple to install

they work sweet but $60.00 for the tool and the rj45 used to be $1.00 each i see that they cam down some.

They crimper is nice it has a smooth rachet type action, and it is easy on the hands, I bet even small lady hands could use them. The rj 45 fittings are quick to use.

the bag of 100 for $2.95 from ebay standered style is what i buy; my Radio Shack cripper does also smash the click lock tab; I use an exacto knife blade to gently pry it to correct it.
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    Just remember, don't punch down on your finger..>.< Did that accidentally running cable yesterday and there was a looot of blood..
  • Options
    inscom: thx for the advice =D

elderkai: ouch.... >_< hope it heals soon....
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    mapletune wrote: »
    inscom: thx for the advice =D

elderkai: ouch.... >_< hope it heals soon....
    Me too. Hahaha. That's what I get for punching down and running cable while half asleep. Blood was dripping onto the floor and stuff. It made me lightheaded. :p
  • Options
    KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    I can't imagine you would have problems with any of the crimping tools out there.

The cheap cable testers can be hit or miss (usually miss) and I don't put much faith in them - I always visually inspect before I crimp. The key here is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE until you know how to do it correct and efficiently. That being said, I recommend pre-made cables and only make my own as a last resort.

I'd go for the cheapest punchdown tool you can find (ebay or something like that) and hopefully it is sharp enough to be effective - if it's not, you can always buy a better quality branded one.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So basically, it doesn't matter too much if it crimps sideways/updown

Huh? What do you mean by crimp sideways? You insert the plug, insert the cable, crimp.
  • Options
    Originally didn't want to include links to manufacturers, because i dunno anything about them nor do i want to refer to any =p but here's some pictures to illustrate what I'm confused about.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crimp-plugs-Cat5e-Network-Cables/dp/B000NOOOQ4
    This is a standard crimper i think, mine is sort of like this. has blades to cut/strip wire. And this. is a pain to use. Doesn't strip well, sometimes squashes the latches flat. (disc. not this particular model, just saying mine is similar)

RJ45 CRIMPER TOOLS: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    This one looks a lot buffer, and instead of crimping action perpendicular to handle, it's sort of in the direction of handle. See that it moves the crimp die "upwards"? I'm thinking about getting a crimper of this type.

Paladin Tools 1556 All-in-One Crimper for WE/SS-Style Data & Phone Cable - Amazon.com
    This last example is a ratcheting crimper. It is supposed to.... ratchet, i guess. From inscom's comment, i think ratchet helps you if you don't have a very strong grip... I'm kinda curious about these kinds of crimpers as well.

As for punchdown tools, I think i'll take the advice from comments to get a cheap one first. If it works then great! =) If not, I'll get an impact tool.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm a fan of Paladin tools. I've had the same crimper forever 10+ years and it still works great. The only time I have problems is if I use cheap plugs. I have a no name punch down that I don't recall from where but it works.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll be looking at those recommendations.

So basically, it doesn't matter too much if it crimps sideways/updown, ratcheting or not, and whether punchdown is impact or non-impact.

It all comes down to personal preference, correct?
    All the pros use impact. Saves lots of time and energy.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Originally didn't want to include links to manufacturers, because i dunno anything about them nor do i want to refer to any =p but here's some pictures to illustrate what I'm confused about.

Crimp Tool for RJ45 plugs/Cat5e Network Patch Cables: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    This is a standard crimper i think, mine is sort of like this. has blades to cut/strip wire. And this. is a pain to use. Doesn't strip well, sometimes squashes the latches flat. (disc. not this particular model, just saying mine is similar)

RJ45 CRIMPER TOOLS: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    This one looks a lot buffer, and instead of crimping action perpendicular to handle, it's sort of in the direction of handle. See that it moves the crimp die "upwards"? I'm thinking about getting a crimper of this type.

Paladin Tools 1556 All-in-One Crimper for WE/SS-Style Data & Phone Cable - Amazon.com
    This last example is a ratcheting crimper. It is supposed to.... ratchet, i guess. From inscom's comment, i think ratchet helps you if you don't have a very strong grip... I'm kinda curious about these kinds of crimpers as well.

As for punchdown tools, I think i'll take the advice from comments to get a cheap one first. If it works then great! =) If not, I'll get an impact tool.

1 looks scary
    2looks fine
    3 is sweet but let someone else buy that for you