Options

Network Administrator Skills?

CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
What are the important skill a network administrator have?

Comments

• Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    1. Patience and Perseverance
    2. Responsibility
    3. Out-of-the-box thinking
    4. Taking and maintaining good notes/documentation
    5. Strong & certified theoretical background on Telecommunications, Networking & Security
    6. Fast Analytical thinking
    7. Social skills
    8. Stress-battling/Cold-blood nature

That's my list related to your question CaptainL.
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    9. Coffee Machine
    meh
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Coffee is good but; try out 5hour Energy too. Then, you can add this drink to the list.
  • Options
    tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A sense of humor.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to add a stong sense of self worth. In my experience, if you maintain your network correctly it will LOOK like you're not doing anything. And with that always comes the whispers about your work ethic, your jobs necessity, etc. I worked with a guy who was always worried about looking like he wasn't doing anything and tried to look busy all the time and he worked himself into a tizzy for nothing. I never worried because if someone higher up asked what I was doing, I'd bombard him/her with an email containing links to several projects with detailed reports, outputs, etc. and they would not come back again. (see al's #4) If you're comfortable in your own skin, know your job and are doing it right, it's not difficult to prove it.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    al3kt.R*** wrote: »
    1. Patience and Perseverance
    2. Responsibility
    3. Out-of-the-box thinking
    4. Taking and maintaining good notes/documentation
    5. Strong & certified theoretical background on Telecommunications, Networking & Security
    6. Fast Analytical thinking
    7. Social skills
    8. Stress-battling/Cold-blood nature

That's my list related to your question CaptainL.

I add "ability to convert employees complaints and blurry symptoms into technical problems"
  • Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ccnpninja wrote: »
    I add "ability to convert employees complaints and blurry symptoms into technical problems"
    That should be true of any IT profession.
  • Options
    IlikeITIlikeIT Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Troubleshooting is a must too
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    IlikeIT wrote: »
    Troubleshooting is a must too
    +1 the most important skill IMHO. Because when problems happen (and they will), you need to identify the problem and fix it in no time.What kind of network are you talking about? Are you referring to managing network gear or servers?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I think keeping a straight face when people are talking complete nonsense is a critical skill. At every level when; when untrained people talk about IT almost everything that comes out of their mouth is stupid. The trick is to pick out the couple of important details and ignore the rest. In level one and two support you have to listen to people talk about applications you have never heard of, get enough information to figure it is A) network, B) OS platform, C) Application or some combination of those three - start working on the problem.

Higher up you will do projects dealing with high-end and expensive hardware and software purchases and implementations. Non-IT people won't have a clue about what is going on but you still need to listen to their concerns and address them.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod

Higher up you will do projects dealing with high-end and expensive hardware and software purchases and implementations. Non-IT people won't have a clue about what is going on but you still need to listen to their concerns and address them.

THIS

you reminded of a classified implementation that I was part of. It has some complicated authentication modules, and VeriSign was part of the implementation. I still remember 2x hrs meeting with one from the top management, he lectured us on how complex wanted his password to be (we were supposed to meet to discuss details of the project). 2x hrs password lecture = Most glorious headache of my entire life
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com