Options

Help with Books please (Read the FAQ)

Stevo7Stevo7 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, Looking for a little advice here. I have been reading around the forums and find them extremely useful. Im after some guidance on book purchases i have made in haste.

A little info on me to help get the best advice =)

Ive just started studying to sit my ICND1 exam a few weeks ago. Im looking at a career change from management to IT (Networking and Systems admin) I have always wanted to do Network Engineering since i was 15 or so, Ive been building PCs since i was 13-14 and IT is my passion. I started Studying a diploma of network engineering i had to drop out of due to some Real life issues.

I have a basic knowledge of networking. I have been reading through the cisco press ICND1 book and its cementing the knowledge i had previous so far (Im not up to the tricky stuff yet!) Im loving it. I watched the CBT Nuggets videos first, which i thought helped a lot before actually reading the book aswell. (Its obviously hard to cover in a video but the book has A LOT! more information and depth of information)

Enough on that! I need some guidance on books to buy to head me off into my path. I hope one day to in a data center type of environment. I purchased a set of Cisco Press (Wendell Odom) CCENT/CCNA (ICND1&2) Books printed 2008 (i believe they are second edition) I feel these are current enough to study from. I also (Impulse buy) purchased a collection of cisco press books off of ebay. However upon receiving the books i have found they are quite old. also there are books there i wont need for a long time but i got them to page through to get some more knowledge.

I would like some guidance what path i should head to eventually (after quite some years of experience in the field when i transition over) my CCIE: Data center .

I am guessing something along the lines of CCNA>CCNP>CCDP>CCIE ? What strands should i be looking at for my goal? And could someone recommend what books to buy for reading?

The books i currently have i dont think i should bother reader as some are as early as 2000 , with most being between 2002-2006
They are:
CCNP/CCDP: CCNP Switching
CCNP/CCDP: CCNP Remote Access
CCDP: CCDP Self Study
IP Quality of Service
CCIE: Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture (yr 2000)
CCIE: Cisco Land Switching
CCIE: Routing TCP/IP Volume 1
CCIE: Routing TCP/IP Volume 2
CCIP: MPLS and VPN Architecture
Cisco Self Study: Implementing Cisco IPv6 Networks
IP Telephony Self Study: Cisco QOS
Internet Routing Architectures

Obviously most of these books are far beyond me. But i saw them cheap and bought them, without knowing how old they were.

Should i just get rid of them now and not bother paging through them for information? and just concentrate on more immediate books to my path (CCNA/CCNP books)

I appreciate your time for reading my long post, excuse me its late here and im tired =)

Thanks in advance.