Options

Does WGU get any respect with employers

Comments

• Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Depends on the employer in my opinion. Was interviewed by a really old school hard ass kind of guy the other week. You could tell he was not fond of technology. He didn't actually put down the fact that I was doing my Masters online but hinted at it several times. For example: He asked, "So were you a REAL student at XXX University or was this one online too?". I did go to a brick and mortar for my undergrad so that made him a little happy, but it was just several things like this that led me to believe that he did not approve of my online schooling.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Whiteout That guy sounded like a real prick but now reading your other post on your new job offer means it didn't matter.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Yeah that interviewer was an ass, rubbed me the wrong way from the beginning.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    I couldn't do WGU, only because when it comes to online classes, I lose focus and I become undisciplined. I took three or four online courses while doing my Bachelors and generally scored a letter grade lower in those courses. That being said, I won't be doing BU, CMU or PSU online either.

I've never heard anything negative said about WGU except by a current student. But I don't know if it's him or the school. For every three people like that, there's an iristheangel or the guy that knocked off 60 credits in one semester. bowing.gifbowing.gif
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    WGU is definitely not perfect, but no school is.

What I love about WGU is the fact I'm in complete control of my pace. I'm @ 56 credits complete 4.5months into my first term. I even took 2 weeks off from school work for a vacation as well. This is while working full time, toddler daughter, wife, house, all that jazz.

My boss thinks it's great that I'm going back to school and he doesn't seem to have a problem with the fact that it's an "online" university.

No matter what the letterhead states, you get what you put into it.
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    I couldn't do WGU, only because when it comes to online classes, I lose focus and I become undisciplined. I took three or four online courses while doing my Bachelors and generally scored a letter grade lower in those courses. That being said, I won't be doing BU, CMU or PSU online either.

I've never heard anything negative said about WGU except by a current student. But I don't know if it's him or the school. For every three people like that, there's an iristheangel or the guy that knocked off 60 credits in one semester. bowing.gifbowing.gif
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Iristheangel -

Reading this reinforces my desire to return to school for my bachelors. I can't wait for my scheduled call from the recruiter to start working on admission details!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think I was in the middle of a bunch of stuff when I saw the post, but I'm just going to ask you to utilize the search function. I had answered that question a long time ago in another thread.

In short, the graduation rate at WGU and EVERY other college in America takes data from FIRST TIME students who attend a higher ed institution and does NOT factor in transfer students. WGU President Bob Mendenhall tried (and failed when the WGU Board killed that idea) to disallow first time college students from attending WGU or the 18/19 year olds. The graduation rate will not take into account of majority of students at WGU that transferred in from other universities/colleges, with either a little bit of transferable credits (like me) or having an AAS, AS, or even a BS in another major. We're (students/alumni who transferred in from another college) NOT COUNTED IN THE GRADUATION RATE. That is why the graduation rate is low to begin with at WGU; many students who have never been to college before can not handle the lack of structure at WGU that would have been provided at a more traditional university.

I will tell you one other thing that is more anecdotal. One thing that WGU did that did "teach" me something that I had to use in my current graduate school studies was the ability to do high quality research papers. I have had both professors AND students (students, mind you that did their undergrad at the school I'm at now) that have given my work a high amount of praise when I had to hand stuff to team members in group projects that we have to do. If WGU sucked, there is no way I'd receive such comments. I didn't know how to write a paper in APA format prior to WGU...now it's the one format I will use unless I have to go back to MLA/ALA. Oh, and professionally speaking? I get phone calls from recruiters every other day since I updated my resume to include a BS from WGU.

Now, I'm not a paid shill for WGU, and I never will be one. Yes, I've referred a high number of students to WGU (everyone of them from here) but WGU doesn't pay me to write about my experiences with them. All I'm saying is that I received a BS from them, the degree got me into a brick and mortar school, has prepared me to handle graduate-level school work, and has given me the necessary checkbox that says I'm a college graduate when applying for/considering job opportunities. For me and others, I will leave you with this:

WGU's value far exceeds WGU's worth!
  • Options
    ratchokeratchoke Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I think I was in the middle of a bunch of stuff when I saw the post, but I'm just going to ask you to utilize the search function. I had answered that question a long time ago in another thread.

In short, the graduation rate at WGU and EVERY other college in America takes data from FIRST TIME students who attend a higher ed institution and does NOT factor in transfer students. WGU President Bob Mendenhall tried (and failed when the WGU Board killed that idea) to disallow first time college students from attending WGU or the 18/19 year olds. The graduation rate will not take into account of majority of students at WGU that transferred in from other universities/colleges, with either a little bit of transferable credits (like me) or having an AAS, AS, or even a BS in another major. We're (students/alumni who transferred in from another college) NOT COUNTED IN THE GRADUATION RATE. That is why the graduation rate is low to begin with at WGU; many students who have never been to college before can not handle the lack of structure at WGU that would have been provided at a more traditional university.

I will tell you one other thing that is more anecdotal. One thing that WGU did that did "teach" me something that I had to use in my current graduate school studies was the ability to do high quality research papers. I have had both professors AND students (students, mind you that did their undergrad at the school I'm at now) that have given my work a high amount of praise when I had to hand stuff to team members in group projects that we have to do. If WGU sucked, there is no way I'd receive such comments. I didn't know how to write a paper in APA format prior to WGU...now it's the one format I will use unless I have to go back to MLA/ALA. Oh, and professionally speaking? I get phone calls from recruiters every other day since I updated my resume to include a BS from WGU.

Now, I'm not a paid shill for WGU, and I never will be one. Yes, I've referred a high number of students to WGU (everyone of them from here) but WGU doesn't pay me to write about my experiences with them. All I'm saying is that I received a BS from them, the degree got me into a brick and mortar school, has prepared me to handle graduate-level school work, and has given me the necessary checkbox that says I'm a college graduate when applying for/considering job opportunities. For me and others, I will leave you with this:

That had me thinking, how ARE the classes structured? Does WGU provide ANY teacher at all, or do they just give me loads of text and say 'HAVE AT IT!'.

I ask because I've only been to community college, both online and in-campus, and not a traditional University like you described. I don't necessarily have any problems with any of the classes I have taken. Although, philosophy of religion was pretty hard lol, the teacher seemed to purposely try to fail people, gotta respect being challenged.

I do really like being apart of a 'class' and having to take part in discussions. I think you learn a lot from people who may have questions that you may never have thought of. Or its always interesting to see points of views from different people. Although, technology is pretty straight forward.

So far I've narrowed my choice to two schools both of which I have applied to. Dakota State University (DSU) and WGU. DSU is more traditional and seems to offer a better 'general' education. But I really like the WGU format of obtaining certs while working on a degree, plus its cheaper! But one thing that erks me, is most of the people that have provided PRAISE to WGU are already IN the industry and just using it to get promoted. What are your guys opinions of people trying to actually break into the industry.
  • Options
    ratchoke wrote: »
    That had me thinking, how ARE the classes structured? Does WGU provide ANY teacher at all, or do they just give me loads of text and say 'HAVE AT IT!'.

'HAVE AT IT!' is pretty much the answer. There are "communities" for each class that will have student participation, but for the most part, it is not utilized very well. Most if not all of the answers that I needed for certain queries I had for courses were answered in the Students and Experiences thread. (Not answers to specific questions on a test of course...but general class stuff.)
    I do really like being apart of a 'class' and having to take part in discussions. I think you learn a lot from people who may have questions that you may never have thought of. Or its always interesting to see points of views from different people. Although, technology is pretty straight forward.

Yeah, that again is not WGU. The whole being apart of 'class' stuff and taking part of discussions is done for the most part at traditional universities.
    My groupwork experiences are from graduate school...post-WGU.

So far I've narrowed my choice to two schools both of which I have applied to. Dakota State University (DSU) and WGU. DSU is more traditional and seems to offer a better 'general' education. But I really like the WGU format of obtaining certs while working on a degree, plus its cheaper!

I do like DSU D.Sc program. Their MS in IS seems like a good one too...they were on my short-list to apply before I went local. I can't speak for their BS program though, though I can't see that being bad. My whole thing was I did want my BS to reflect a "general" education, and WGU did do that. I have Math, English, General Sciences (though they are just bad courses....stuff you do for a sixth grade science project...actually maybe fifth grade) Critical Thinking, etc....they were all covered. I just needed the sheepskin, and WGU's regional accreditation sealed the deal with me in that respect.
  • Options
    'HAVE AT IT!' is pretty much the answer. There are "communities" for each class that will have student participation, but for the most part, it is not utilized very well. Most if not all of the answers that I needed for certain queries I had for courses were answered in the Students and Experiences thread. (Not answers to specific questions on a test of course...but general class stuff.)

Yeah, that again is not WGU. The whole being apart of 'class' stuff and taking part of discussions is done for the most part at traditional universities.
    My groupwork experiences are from graduate school...post-WGU.

I do like DSU D.Sc program. Their MS in IS seems like a good one too...they were on my short-list to apply before I went local. I can't speak for their BS program though, though I can't see that being bad. My whole thing was I did want my BS to reflect a "general" education, and WGU did do that. I have Math, English, General Sciences (though they are just bad courses....stuff you do for a sixth grade science project...actually maybe fifth grade) Critical Thinking, etc....they were all covered. I just needed the sheepskin, and WGU's regional accreditation sealed the deal with me in that respect.

Do the base programs actually help, or did you find useful? Like the critical thinking, preparing projects, writing in a business environment ect.? Because I think thats what DSU seems to have over WGU from what I can tell so far. That's why I'm trying to do my research. Someone said, if you plan to do M.S. why does it matter where you get your B.S. Although, I do agree with that to a degree, but wouldn't you want to make sure you have the proper general education in a IT field?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903

Strictly speaking, your first sentence isn't precisely true. It took me only a couple of clicks to find the 6 year graduation rate for California state colleges for both incoming freshmen and transfer students.

CSU | ASD | CSRDE

The graduation rate from the couple of California schools seems to hover around 40%.

At Colorado State University the six year graduation rate is 63% - from what I can tell that number is derived from only the students who started as incoming freshmen.

Office of the President - Colorado State University

The point is not to necessarily bash WGU but to provide a different perspective of WGU simply based on numbers. Whether or not the quality of education is there or not is not something I can comment on since I don't have the personal experience with WGU to form an opinion on that. As far as I can tell WGU is appropriately accredited which is the standard in the American university system. It does cause concern that WGU does not require a GMAT for entrance to their online MBA program. That puts it on par with other institutions that don't require a GMAT for admittance, universities like Colorado Technical University.

My concern is not that the quality of education is bad, it is that the online only colleges cost too much for the value you take away with your degree.
  • Options
    Strictly speaking, your first sentence isn't precisely true. It took me only a couple of clicks to find the 6 year graduation rate for California state colleges for both incoming freshmen and transfer students.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/68822-graduation-rate.html#post551050

That post I made still stands. But I'll reiterate the point (which comes from the federal financial aid page, not an individual state school's system):

Graduation rate is the percentage of a school's first-time, first-year undergraduate students who complete their program within 150% of the published time for the program.

That's wonderful that the California State University system has made a distinction between incoming freshman AND transfers. Plus I think it's wonderful that Colorado State University has a sixty-three percent graduation rate. I have yet to see statistical data of the retention rates of WGU students who were transfers. But the point I made that if one is a first time college student, one will probably transfer out or drop out completely.

As for WGU not requiring a GMAT for entrance to their MBA programs, do a couple of more clicks and go to geteducated.com. You will find there are a number of AACSB schools (the GOLD standard in MBA schools) that either do not require a GMAT or will waive the GMAT requirement. The only reason AACSB schools would matter to me personally is because I want to be an adjunct professor, which I technically could do with a BS, but that will require a lot of politicking.....an MBA from a AACSB school would look better (coupled with a PMP cert, believe it or not.)

In short, a school's graduation rate should NOT be an overall factor in deciding where one wants to go; but rather what an individual hopes to gain from an institution. Ultimately, it's up the individual student whether or not they can hack a program. A bunch of freshmen dropping out wasn't a concern of mine when I enrolled in WGU, or a good number of TE members. All I wanted was a BS so that I could pursue a graduate degree.
  • Options
    Interestingly the AACSB does not accredit WGU's business school.

From an OP-ED:

Online Higher Ed Poised to Break Out? | The John William Pope Center for Higher Education Policy

Joan Mitchell claimed in 2011 that the graduation rate, when combining in adult transfers, is 40%. Without a doubt that is significantly higher than 22%. However, it is still not very good.

It sounds like WGU is a better program than the one OP has been enrolled in so to that end, it sounds like a good fit.
  • Options
    Interestingly the AACSB does not accredit WGU's business school.

Accreditation into AACSB or ACBSP is a lot of paperwork. However a lot of schools that offer MBA aren't accredited with either. Plus the ACBSP is not looked at in the same light as AACSB but if WGU had even that, it would be a very nice boost.

As your last article noted, WGU's graduation rate among adult transfers is growing.
  • Options
    I couldn't find any of the major online-only schools which had an accredited business school. Colorado State University has an online only MBA but CSU is not an online only school. It is slightly besides the point because we are talking primarily about IT degrees, which doesn't have a certification body in academia that I know of.

I have considered going to WGU but the prices are still too high for my liking. Heck, instate tuition is too darn high in my opinion. When I return to college it will be after I sock away enough cash to pay for it outright and attend a traditional B+M college.
  • Options
    It was more important that I do the traditional route (online or otherwise) for my Master's. If you're going to go to graduate school...no one gives a ---- where you did your undergrad. After seeing the anectodal evidence for myself, it made WGU a no brainer. If you look at my grad school journey thread, you will see that as a "WGU alumni" I'm able to hang in a traditional program. Though in all honesty...grad school in a traditional setting is up to the individual. I made it a point to make time for grad school and to not ---- around.

Also, the one thing to keep in mind about CSU...I did have them on a long-list...their online-only MBA was geared more toward Finance and Business concentration. The technology component was not (ironically) online. Otherwise, I would have gone that route.
  • Options
    It was more important that I do the traditional route (online or otherwise) for my Master's. If you're going to go to graduate school...no one gives a ---- where you did your undergrad. After seeing the anectodal evidence for myself, it made WGU a no brainer. If you look at my grad school journey thread, you will see that as a "WGU alumni" I'm able to hang in a traditional program. Though in all honesty...grad school in a traditional setting is up to the individual. I made it a point to make time for grad school and to not ---- around.

Also, the one thing to keep in mind about CSU...I did have them on a long-list...their online-only MBA was geared more toward Finance and Business concentration. The technology component was not (ironically) online. Otherwise, I would have gone that route.

Thank you, your insight is definitely helping me narrow between the two I have decided upon. I heard others say the exact same thing about going for a MS; basically go the cheapest and fastest route through a BS. lol. I wish both schools would provide a better listing/description of their classes and how up to date their books are. I want to make sure that when I'm done, I feel 110% ready to go out there.
  • Options
    Well, I'm sure Dakota State has a undergraduate catalog available from dsu.edu. That, coupled with Rate My Professors – Find and rate your professor, campus and more – RateMyProfessors.com should give you some great insight into how the classes at DSU are like. Just take the negative AND positive reviews with a grain of salt though....look at reviews as a whole...not individually (the same with any other reviews...)

(Note: Rate My Professors – Find and rate your professor, campus and more – RateMyProfessors.com will not help you in WGU....the course mentors are NOT professors...they are just there to guide you along in your own self study...nothing more. If a student needs hand-holding B]nothing wrong with that[/B then WGU may not be for that student.)
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I should point out that my first comment was that WGU does not automatically draw eye rolls like AIU does - this does not directly comment on the quality of education one can have at the school. The second comment refers to the fact that in some measurable ways (graduation rate, online only, accredited by a relatively weak agency) the school is little different than other online only institutions.

The Northwest Accreditation Commission is a weak agency? How are they weak?

As far as graduation rates it wouldn't surprise me an online only school has low graduation rates. Most people don't have enough self-determination to complete a bachelors degree from any online school. You need to be determined, I don't think WGU makes any false claims about this, or at least that is not the impression I've been given.

As far as cost, last I checked $5800/year is a far cry from what U of P, Devry, ITT Tech charge. I really think it is unfair to lump WGU in with them and call them a scam. The price seems completely reasonable to me, in fact many B&M schools may be higher, (especially with increasing college tuition rates), so I don't understand how you find this to be such an expensive school. It seems you're a bit stuck on the graduation rate, which really has more to do with the student and very little with school itself. It's definitely an important consideration, but it also must be understood that this is an online school, so a much higher level of self-determination should be expected from the students.

WGU might not be good for some, but most people do not have the time or money to save up their entire college fund before enrolling into a B&M college. If I could go to a California state school I would, but it would take forever to complete so I'll likely enroll with WGU instead, unless I hear some compelling reasons why this isn't a good school to go to - such as accreditation issues. Nobody wants to waste their time and money going to a bad school!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm currently enrolled in the WGU MBA program.

A couple of points I would like to make

First of all it's not "easy". It's just as challenging as any high level certification IMO.

If you want to carry an MBA from a top 25 program WGU is not for you

If you have a degree that isn't business heavy and you want that additional knowledge it's a solid program for that. It fills a lot of knowledge gaps. Just like certifications degrees are the same. Experience trumps either of these. You want a nice blend of experience with education.

The MBA from WGU has already been recognized from my project sponsors and my employer. Neither made comments on any of my certifications. There is something to be said about that. Maybe it's the culture maybe it's the fact degrees carry more value. Either or getting my MBA from WGU has been a tough process but will complement my experience and help get me to where I want to be faster. (Engagement Manager)

I am over 50% complete and I have no buyers regret.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I couldn't find any of the major online-only schools which had an accredited business school. Colorado State University has an online only MBA but CSU is not an online only school. It is slightly besides the point because we are talking primarily about IT degrees, which doesn't have a certification body in academia that I know of.

I have considered going to WGU but the prices are still too high for my liking. Heck, instate tuition is too darn high in my opinion. When I return to college it will be after I sock away enough cash to pay for it outright and attend a traditional B+M college.

Too high? I haven't seen any schools that are cheaper... You could always go join the Army and then get it for free, if you want cheaper than 3k/6mo.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Valsacar wrote: »
    Too high? I haven't seen any schools that are cheaper... You could always go join the Army and then get it for free, if you want cheaper than 3k/6mo.

Seriously. I cant find anything thats cheaper than this in california.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's a good link to put WGU's price into perspective: CaliforniaColleges.edu - How Much Does College Cost?
  • Options
    str8outtajerzystr8outtajerzy Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm still on the fence, but this thread as well as others is really helping me in my process, thanks!!
  • Options
    WGU's Worth Exceeds WGU's Cost.

In my case and others, that phrase holds true.
  • Options
    Zena84Zena84 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do know a couple of WGU students who are now teachers, a they love their job.
  • Options
    Zena84Zena84 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    :D:D:D
    Cant wait to start wgu myself.
    :D
  • Options
    Valsacar wrote: »

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Actually, they give you lots of t-shirts. Instate tuition is higher in many cases, than WGU. The MBA program at UC Boulder is pretty high considering they are a public university. It would be less expensive to go to BYU - which is ranked higher than CU anyway. When compared to most other schools the pricing at WGU is very competitive - compared to CTU Online or University of Phoenix; WGU is a bargain and you don't get some of the stigma attached to more popular online schools.

If I were to go to business school I would disqualify WGU because they, like all the online universities I checked, are not certified by the AACSB or similar body and is ranked poorly against schools in my area (CSU, Leeds School at UCB, DU ((if you like spending money)). To me the MBA would be a huge career commitment which I would not do in conjunction with working full time.
  • Options
    It would be less expensive to go to BYU - which is ranked higher than CU anyway. When compared to most other schools the pricing at WGU is very competitive - compared to CTU Online or University of Phoenix; WGU is a bargain and you don't get some of the stigma attached to more popular online schools.

You might not care so much for BYU if you are not married, but have a girlfriend. I don't care if BYU is better than Wharton or Havard (for business and to be clear, that is a facetious exaggeration to make a point).....I refuse to deal with a school that would try to interfere in the personal lives of their students.

If I were to go to business school I would disqualify WGU because they, like all the online universities I checked, are not certified by the AACSB or similar body and is ranked poorly against schools in my area (CSU, Leeds School at UCB, DU ((if you like spending money)). To me the MBA would be a huge career commitment which I would not do in conjunction with working full time.

Unless you come from serious money, it is not realistic for many people to do a full-time MBA. If that were the case, I would have loved to have done Stern's (NYU) full-time.

Also, while I do personally agree with you on WGU and their MBA, I have come to see that many people will go that route if they are not looking for a career in academia (even as a part-time adjunct professor) and/or just want the meat and potatoes of business jargon/strategy. People like myself need not only meat and potatoes, but a standard behind that in order to pursue life as an adjunct and/or to gun for CIO-like jobs in areas that would have heard of the B&M school I attend. I would not, out of hand, dismiss the WGU MBA.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I used to live in BYU housing when that girl that went on MTV's the Real World and got kicked out under "honor code violations" because she spent the summer in the same house as boys. Oh, and I had a girlfriend so sneaking around and lying was uncomfortable as well as being required to go to church as part of the honor code in their housing. Living in the housing for 6 months made me withdraw my application for enrollment and swear off college for awhile. I was quite a bit younger but I even now when I Google the honor code, I shudder to think that I could have spent 4-6 years in that environment. Sometimes the reputation is not worth the hell you have to go through...
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com